Italeri Kfz 305 Opel Blitz with Tamiya 20mm Flak 38 MIT Sd.Ah.51

B

Big Red

Looks fantastic Steve. I have to say the way the different steps of weathering work together is well beyond the sum of the parts.
I hope to be half as good as this!

Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Crikey, that looks well knackered Steve - wasn't expecting it to look quite so clapped out

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Fantastic weathering Steve. The layers and process have achieved the look very convincingly especially the tones.

Cheers,
Richard

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
The weathering is superb Steve.
Love the well worn look of it all, esp in the close-ups.:thumb2:

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Can't really add much to what the others have already said Steve, some top weathering.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Scottie - I am happy with the final look which is causing me problems of where to put the dust:smiling3:
Si - You know me mate - more battered and bruised the better:thumb2:
Allen - You probably wont like my reply but all my models go into boxes never to be seen again so we will never know:thumb2:
Cheers Greg. More to feast your eyes on below
Paul - Glad you like it sir:thumb2:
Jim - It's all about building up the layers and hoping it all looks okay in the end
MrT - I did hold back a bit as I didn't want to overdo it:smiling2:
Richard - Some areas are really rich in tones and I need to expand that look on future builds
Fernando - The weathering is one of my better efforts so thanks for the feedback
Thanks Mike. Appreciate the support mate

The cab was finished off with a Burnt Sienna pin wash and dry brushing. The dial decals were a complete failure with the blue mask fluid going in behind and one disintegrating completely

IMG_0032.JPGIMG_0033.JPG

The same pin wash and dry brushing was done on the chassis and I am a lot happier with the look

IMG_0042.JPG

Next comes the pigments and dusting phase. I really like the current look and I am concerned too much dust work will spoil it so there will not be a lot applied.

In the meantime I am not a great one for bases so I need some help. Which way round should the Opel go and which way should the Flak point??. Should the build be shown off with the PAK40 at the back or front?? Here are some photos to help you decide. Also the bare corner diagonally opposite to the PAK40 will be a roped off mine area. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated:thumb2:

IMG_0036.JPGIMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG

In the meantime here are a couple of photos the nearly completed build

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

Thanks for watching

Steve

Last edited:

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

I have decided that this will be my last ever base. I hate doing them. I am no good at doing them. And the stress, materials and cost of doing them just isn't worth it any more. I take my hat off to those magicians who create such masterpiece dioramas and bases, but its just not for me. The final straw was when I removed the Tamiya tape off the base and all the gloss work came off with it

IMG_0032.JPG

As for the Opel and Flak, well they are all finished now. I will try and get the model prepared and staged on the base in-between the golf this weekend. Then I will post all the finished photos

IMG_0033.JPGIMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

I would like to thank you all for your help and support during this build. I have had a great deal of fun putting her together. Also the weathering has turned out just the way I wanted it

Happy modelling everyone

Steve

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Steve wow...wow.. that is a battered/worn/used vehicle ... LOVE IT... you just inspired me for my trucks in Korea... FANTASTIC WORK...
Keep up continue..

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
First a massive apology for not commenting before

Your base is superb, the sunken Pak is sublime, it really will be plagiarized by many other modelers.

Tamiya tape, sticks to anything but what you want, and low tack, what a crock of **** that is!

I have to say your base work is great, and retiring at the top is always a plan for today, I am sure tomorrow it might not sting a much.

The Opel needs a 1st class back drop and you have achieved in both categorys.

Very well done

Steve H

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Steve,
That is a great looking truck, please don't let the set back with the base which is great by the way from putting you off future bases.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
That is superb. The weathering is as good as it gets. The layering up of weathering techniques has produced a really realistic, believable finish. As for the base - it will be fine.
Jim

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Greg - Thanks for the support mate. Look forward to seeing your jeep and trucks come together:thumb2:
Thanks Colin:thumb2:
Thats terrific feedback Steve. Much appreciated
Scottie - Its the final straw of many final straws that has broken the camels back. I will stick to what I enjoy the most. Or maybe you could do my bases for me .. mmmm??:smiling5::smiling3:. I am sure you would only charge me a small fee?:tongue-out3:
Glad you like it Jim. Hopefully I will get the final jobs done soon

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Apologies to all those who liked the base but I thought it was poor compared to the build and did not show it off to it's best potential. So I ended it up putting the build on a plinth on it's own. If you wish to see the finished build photos please click

HERE

Many thanks

Steve

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
you are a hard task master Steve

I would love to have a base any where near that good!

I have a Pz III J early DAK coming round the corner soon,

something with a British 2lb'er AT would be very fetching.

I will be following your recipe, when I get to the base

Great finish on the the Opel an Flak too.

Regards

Steve H

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
We are all our own worst critics Steve. Look forward to reading your Panzer III blog. Many thanks

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Steve

I have a kit bash like this planned in 1/72 and was looking for the original build I found that gave me the idea. Couldn't find it but found this instead.

A simply brilliant job.

Very well done.

Andrew