Italeri Maclaren MP4/2

Jabba

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Recently finished this one. It fought me all the way, especially the bodywork which didn't want to play ball and took considerable fiddling to get a half-decent fit, but frankly, as you can see from the photos, its still far from perfect, but I'm wary of forcing the panels for fear of breaking something... I still think it looks reasonably good, so I'll cheat and display it mostly with the body off.;)
A couple of points worth mentioning ; 1/ there was a considerable amount of masking to do to get the body colours right and I used Tamiya masking tape for the very edges and 3M blue masking tape for the bigger areas. I have used the 3M blue tape for years in my job without any problems as it is not supposed to leave any residue, However, I was proved very wrong here! Once i had finished the painting and peeled it off there was loads of stickyness all over the place! It took some considerable time to wash it all off. So beware! Don't make the same stupid mistake that I did. Use the Tamiya throughout. (I'll have to have a word with 3M)
Also, as you probably already know, don't use acrylic paints on rubber tyres. I did , and its not a pretty sight. Enamels stick and flow much better on rubber.
Anyway, see what you think.IMG_5830.JPGIMG_5829.JPGIMG_5830.JPGIMG_5829.JPGMaclaren 4 .JPGIMG_5827.JPGIMG_5831.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5829.JPG
    IMG_5829.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 1

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Very nice and very clean!

Interesting point on the blue tape, I'll watch out for that.

I'm currently working on a maclaren myself. A real life 720s.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Peter,
nice finish - this is the old Protar model from the 80's, reboxed by Italeri - very nicely detailed even now. Masking tape can be a real pain at times, either you get bleed under the edge, or, ( as I have done ), when you peel the tape off, it lifts the original paint finish off in ragged pieces. Sometimes fixable, but can be the cause of landfill! Now I take great care of cleaning & priming surfaces & allowing a day or two for surfaces to really dry before masking
Dave

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
That looks very nice and really needs the body to be left off so that all the lovely detail is on show.

I favour the Wurth green masking tape for bigger areas, with the Tamiya stuff for edges...

Nick

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's a real beauty. Very well done.

Andrew