Italeri motor bike, and feedback??

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi all

For some mad reason ( i blame the tablets) i am very tempted by the Italerie 1/9 BMW motorbike and side car.

Has anybody made one, theres only a few comments about, most good?

Thanks bob

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ve not built that one, but have built the Kettenkrad. That’s a pretty nice kit, but you have to keep in mind that these are old Esci kits from ca. the 1980s, so they’re not up to modern standards: detail is OK, but some of it’s overscale and best replaced. I would suspect the BMW to be much the same. If so, I’d certainly not discourage you from buying one — I liked building the Kettenkrad.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Jakko, one comment said about the age but also not bad detail. Been looking for a 1/35 tammy kettenkrad but rare as hens teeth.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
As Jakko says definitely not up to current standard kits Bob but they can build up nicely with some work. Have seen some very nice examples over the years. Bill Horans BMW with a scratchbuilt crew was excellent

Fit of parts is not the greatest out of the box - won't be just a fall together assembly job. Will need some actual modelling - sanding parts flat so they fit together, scraping flat areas flat, filling sink marks, ejector pin marks, removal of heavy seam lines and so on.

I've got the Ketten, Zundapp, Kübelwagen, Harley WLA45 and BMW with sidecar in the stash

Started the Harley (cleaned up most of the parts) and the Beemer (the spoked wheels are rather chunky so I started re-spoking them). Will re-spoke the Harley as well when (if) I get around to it

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Many thanks Simon

cracking honest feedback, still thinking about it? yes or no ??????

bob

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I’d say yes Bob if you’re prepared to put the effort in - but then a lot of people on here think I’m bonkers :tongue-out3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I just built the 3HW Triumph. A lot of clean up but not to bad a kit and went together OK.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Bob

I built the Harley a little while back. I enjoyed it and it went together pretty well.

John

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Simon, ian and Wotan

Many thanks for the advice, still thinking and thats dangerous lol