Italeri MTB 74. 1/35

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just so you dont think I dont build much these day.... Been far to nice weather to use it all indoors. Some days its just to hot though to get in the garden and do anything!
So the last few weeks I have pottered around in the man cave, avoiding both pouring rain or baking sunshine.
The kit went together well with only a few minor fit issues. Mainly the plastic sheet for the windows. Never had one where they fit as they should.
Painted mainly with Soveregn hobbies colour coats. Sad to say probably the last I use their paints on. I am running out and they dont ship overseas! On a positive note I have found a complet list of how to mix Vallejo Model color for the correct colours!
Metal bits; screws, torpedoes and the like with Alclad II.
Hull bottom is good old Humbrol matt black.
Hope you like and comments welcome.
DSC_1399.JPG

DSC_1400.JPG

DSC_1401.JPG

DSC_1402.JPG

Cheers.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
WOW! Blown away. Just excellent. PaulE

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ian,
That's a cracking build. Don't have a clue about boats i'm afraid what nation does it belong to?

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
I have mine part built, and if the finish is as good as that, i'll be happy

Scottie3158, it is the mtb converted to attack St Navaire gates , British Navy.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers chaps glad that you like her. I forgot to mention. I used "frisk-film" to mask the hull. Its a low tak clear sticky plastic that can be placed, cut and peeled off a bit at a time and ..... put back again! It cuts easier than masking tape and a bit easier to see through!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ian
That is an excellent result. That 'frisk-film' sounds useful.
Jim

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful job ian , paintwork looks excellent, cheers tony

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Noticed the repositioning of the launch tubes. What is the rig on the bow for? PaulE

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great build Ian. A very nice neat finish.

Noticed the repositioning of the launch tubes. What is the rig on the bow for? PaulE

Paul, whilst HMS Campbeltown was ramming the St. Nazaire dry dock gate,. MTB 74 was designated to attack and torpedo a second set of lock gates off to port. She succeeded in her mission, but was unfortunately sunk whilst trying to escape.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
MTB 74's first job before it could torpedo the lock gates was to destroy the anti- submarine nets. I wonder if it had anything to do with that part of the operation?

I have discovered the reason for the re-positioned forward tubes. The idea being the torpedoes would be able to be fired over the anti submarine nets. so that possibly shoots down my above theory doesn't it?

Can't find any more about the contraption on the bow thought....

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
It looks as if it could have been intended to lift a boom out of the way so the torpedoes could be fired, but if there were nets attached to the boom then that wouldn't work.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I found this on the https://www.warlordgames.com/community/topic/mtb-74-and-the-st-nazaire-raid-mtb-built/ website: "It got a special device at bow to cut or jump the booms that never worked well. The 21” TT got removed and replaced with 18” at the bow. They should project the “torpedoes” with compressed air over 150 yards. The projectiles had no engine, so 1200 ibs Aminol explosive found room. "

I'm not sure if the poster of this is reliable.

Pete

D

Deleted member 5496

Very nice indeed Ian. Superb build.

My father, a carpenter & joiner worked on these during the war. He used to take me
on a Saturday to work with him. i was sent up into the bows & swept out the shavings
etc. about 6 at the time.

Laurie