Italeri schwimmwagen in 1/35

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Just started this to go on the dio, first impressions, certainly not a Tamiya in fit or quality (first part off the sprue will need filling where there's a hole left from an air bubble in the plastic) and there's going to be a lot of guessing as to where some parts should be fitted.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Actually apart from the filling and sanding it was the better detailed at the time until Tammy came out with their new tooled kit. This has a suspension but Tammy just had rods I think or was that for the Kubelwagen. Still quite a nice build and would look great in your dio Gerry.

Cheers,
Richard

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Actually apart from the filling and sanding it was the better detailed at the time until Tammy came out with their new tooled kit. This has a suspension but Tammy just had rods I think or was that for the Kubelwagen. Still quite a nice build and would look great in your dio Gerry.

Cheers,
Richard
It's very well detailed, agreed - as I say, just hope that I've got the skills to do it justice and don't remove the details with my filling and sanding - thinking that all I can do, will be dry fit, sand, dry fit, sand until it gets there.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Gerry
I am sure you'll sort any problems. The schwimmwagen always makes me think of the episode of Combat Dealers where Bruce and Hus were testing one.
Jim

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Hi Gerry
I am sure you'll sort any problems. The schwimmwagen always makes me think of the episode of Combat Dealers where Bruce and Hus were testing one.
Jim
I'll sort them - don't know how much of the model will be left though :tongue-out3: :thinking:.
Not seen that program, though the idea of the vehicle makes me think that it could have been fun to drive - used to have a Subi station wagon (dead ringer for a Datsun Cherry estate), funny how it could leave a xr3-i standing on wet roads!:tears-of-joy::upside:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Good start Gerry. Looks like you’re in for some “real” modelling on this one !
Probably - just got to get my head in the 'right mode'!
Don’t bother watching it unless you have a very high tolerance for obnoxious, loud people who think they’re cool.
I'll steer clear then!

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Decided to go 'out of sequence' - instructions say to assemble the shell, then fit the passenger compartment, but to my eyes, it's going to be easier to fit the passenger compartment, then the top of the shell, fill where necessary, sand back etc. then carry on with the rest of the assembly.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You had me wondering why you have Dutch-language reading material in Suffolk, but then it clicked that this is the “important information” warnings in the lid of the Tamiya box you used for taking the photos :smiling3:

But yeah, some parts are better left on a bit of sprue for as long as possible.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
You had me wondering why you have Dutch-language reading material in Suffolk, but then it clicked that this is the “important information” warnings in the lid of the Tamiya box you used for taking the photos :smiling3:

But yeah, some parts are better left on a bit of sprue for as long as possible.
Nederlands lezen is goed!:thumb2: (used to be able to haltingly speak it - enough to embarrass a shop assistant near Enschede, when she and another customer were talking about how stupid the English are - apparently, my accent was close to 'local';) - but well out of practice now:worried:)

Took one look at the, presumably, 4wd lever and thought how to keep an eye on it, simple answer was to keep it attached to a bigger bit!:thumb2:

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Way off thread but my Mum did that in a St Malo restaurant when the waiter came over and let rip about a couple of "rosbifs" at another table.

He also complimented her accent once she'd let the cat out of the bag.

Last edited:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Ready for the next stage - joining top to bottom and filling the joint (forgive my habit of using up the paint on the brushes by putting it onto somewhere that is due to be painted!)
IMG_20210504_203702338.jpg
As Jakko spotted, I use a box as a 'workstation' - saves trying to find the little bits on the bench, the theory is that at least I've got some idea where it's pinged to!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I like them Recaro profile style seats. At least Italeri gives the floorboards. The bits I like are the exhaust with cover and the prop. I too don't follow instruction sequences...if it's better some other way then do it. But I'd follow an IKEA instruction sheet to the T. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard