Italeri Sherman M32 ARV - "Junkyard Find"

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi

no build log but I thought I'd post the completed article.

Its the Italeri M32 from way back in 1980 - picked up from a fellow club member for a fiver. It isn't a great kit and the accuracy is doubtful but it was a good basis for the "abandoned vehicle" techniques.

Paints are a mix of Vallejo/MIG/Tamiya and the rust is largely the real thing from "Deluxe Scenic".

Will be mounting it on a simple base surrounded by weeds.

Still debating whether to add some graffiti (eg peace signs) or not.

Comments welcome.

MarkIMGP8628.JPGIMGP8629.JPGIMGP8630.JPGIMGP8631.JPGIMGP8632.JPGIMGP8633.JPGIMGP8634.JPGIMGP8635.JPG

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's a great piece of work Mark and it really deserves a base to pull it into context.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Mark, that is nice. A great piece of rusting and neglected 'junk'.

Re. the graffiti. If it were my model, I would leave well alone and place it on a simple base. I find any sort of writing on a piece of armour, whatever, takes the eye away from the model itself. Similarly, a complicated base.
But, as we all write on here in a similar situation - It's your model.... :thumb2:

Whatever you decide, you have produced one excellent build.

Ron

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi. After a few trials in Photoshop to get a feel for what it would look like with graffiti I've decided to leave it. As the base is not much bigger than the vehicle it would detract. If it was part of a bigger set piece with other wrecks it would work. Will post pictures of base later

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Great job, Mark.
I think you are right to leave well alone with the graffiti :thumb2:
I presume it's 1-76 /1/72 scale?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Mark, a very nice base. Just enough to keep the eye where it should be, yet still a nice addition.

I do like the rust, and flaking paintwork is far more pleasing than the over the top, and sometimes unnecessary chipping some modellers seem to regard as a 'Must have'.

Yep, a nice all round build. Well done... :thumb2:

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The groundwork is excellent, but maybe the wall is a bit too clean? Not sure from your post and pictures whether you've completely finished though Mark ...

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Dave, thanks I tried to get a bit of detail into a small space - the base is only 12cm x 17 cm - the wall is actually a completely different base that I was just experimenting with (its one side of the FOG models "Arab gateway") - I just wanted a bit of depth.

Mark

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Mark, a very nice base. Just enough to keep the eye where it should be, yet still a nice addition.

I do like the rust, and flaking paintwork is far more pleasing than the over the top, and sometimes unnecessary chipping some modellers seem to regard as a 'Must have'.

Yep, a nice all round build. Well done... :thumb2:

Ron
Cheers Ron

As the original had a cast hull but welded superstructure it seemed obvious that the flat rolled plates would suffer more rusting through than the hull.

The effect is largely down to a base coat of a darkish brown with the Deluxe product (a fine iron dust which uses a mild acid to make it oxidise) applied and allowed to rust - I then applied latex art masking fluid over the top (similar to maskol) before the top coat.
The latex rubs off exposing the rust underneath but unlike hairspray or chipping fluid the edges of the mask can be left which gives a more 3d layered effect which I find great for peeling paint.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A lovely project to have done Mark. Looks like you had a lot of fun with this one and pushed your weathering skills. Great to see

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thanks for the compliments guys - it turned out OK considering I deliberately wanted to avoid spending any money on the build!

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Missed this one. Looks great! Fantastic finish all round.