Italian Job Van?

N

NeilC69

Just a few photos of a little project that I have been working on for an IPMS "Beyond the Box" group build.

It is based on the Emhar Bedford long wheelbase flat bed truck.

I decided to build the Morris Commercial LC5 ex-Post Office van that was used in the Italian Job film to practice "blowing the doors off"!!

The chassis was built as per the instructions along with the interior, but the cab was moved back a little and a new bonnet and grille scratch built from Evergreen sheet. The front wings were squared off with scraps of plastic, filled and sanded several times and a couple of spare headlights added from the scraps box. The front windscreens and the side windows have all been altered and re-shaped to resemble the original van, although they still are not quite right.

The rest of the body was then constructed using more Evergreen sheet and various strips until I had the basic shape. The roof was the hardest part to get right and took a couple of attempts, but I think it has turned out OK.

The chassis had to be shortened slightly and some new wheels made as the Bedford ones were too big. The wheels were made by taking an old Esci Land Rover hub and fitting an Esci Range Rover tyre onto it before taking a mould and casting some new resin ones.

Once it was painted, the final detailing bits such as mirrors, wipers, number plates etc. were added. I might have a go at some subtle weathering but, having never done it before, I am nervous about ruining the whole thing!!

Here is the finished van

Hope you guys like it!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I do understand you being nervous about weathering, but would have Mr Bridger really have paid for a new van, to blow up ? Having said that, the build does look great. So your not actually going to "blow the b***** doors off" are you ?

Colin M........

C

CDW

looks brilliant .... are you going for the rest of the vehicle cast from the film???

N

NeilC69

\ said:
looks brilliant .... are you going for the rest of the vehicle cast from the film???
I am!

I have already done the minis, the three fast cars (2 Jaguars and an Aston) and have the chassis for the bus waiting for me to build the body.

I also have kits to do the CAT bulldozer, the Lamborghini, the Land Rover and one to convert to a Fiat Dino.

On top of that I have a die cast Alpha Giulia and a CAT 4 wheeled loader (to trash the cars on the mountain pass!!)

Hopefully I shall be starting another build soon.

Watch this space!!!!

Thanks for all the other comments as well guys.

Neil

M

munkster

Excellent subject matter and a lovely model, nice one! Can't wait to see the others in the pipeline - no pun intended!!