Its all a bit of a bind - one done, 50 to go ...

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Peter!!! Looks very professional and and a whole lot better than trying to find that one issue you need from the pile of them......

Prost
Allen

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

a labour of love and frustration! My technique is getting better as they progress, but I'm not going to redo the earlier ones!

to answer Neil's comment - 18 years to go but 23 volumes. Since 1998 MM published a number of special in addition to the normal 12 issues. In most yeasr there were three: Euro Militiare Special, as figure special and a vehicle special. Since 15 issues would make the volums a bot large I am going to produce volums for each year of the 'normal' issues, and thensome volumes containing only the Euro specials, the figure specials and the vehicle specials.

I have enough bookshelf but unfortunately the hight of the volumes is about 5mm too high so the next project will be to slightly adjust the shelf heights, not a big job, fortunately.

Peter

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Seems like 50 years of bound MM might be a bit much for the average book case....hope it's a stout one Peter. :thumb2:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I'm very jealous, Peter. I had to 'rationalise' my collection many years ago in a house move... I've kept many interesting pages and articles in A4 slip-in booklets, but I have only a couple of Euro specials and the Stan Catchpol guide still in one piece.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
At last!

Slicing my thumb put this project on hold, but a couple of weeks ago I focussed on finishing it, and at last finished - all 48 years of
Military Modelling are now bound.

FA7DEB64-D23C-4896-8783-E07AE9C1CBD6.jpeg

in total there are 49 volumes of the normal magazine ( 1997, v27 is in two volumes), plus 3 bound volumes for specials (EuroMilitaire, figures and AFV) plus 3 'clamshell' boxed volumes for Euro, figures and AFV specials which were bound using glue so could not be sewn together.

64DEED1C-13CD-4AEA-8419-D8AE078DF6C7.jpeg

i really enjoyed this project, and the process of bookbinding, although I doubt if I will repeat such a large project. The magazines in the bottom left of the first photo are Journals of the Victoria Cross Sociey, now sadly defunct, and they are going to be my next project. Probably a couple of volumes plus at least one clamshell box.

If anybody wants to try bookbinding I have some really good pdf instructions which I will gladly send you.

now back to modelling!

Peter

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That is an achievement to be proud of Peter They look very professional. Now all you need to do is create an index :rolling:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Super stuff Peter and you are finally finished!!! Guess you're going to throw a big party now that they're done. I hope making an index doesn't take another year though.......

Prost
Allen

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

Jim - professional if you don't look too closely, especially the earlier ones which were a bit of a learning curve.
Allen - no party, just modelling .

I do already have an index. Something I started working on around the millennium - a large Excel spreadsheet; over 5,851 lines of data!

Each line is an article in MM, the columns are for different characteristics of the article. Column 1 is the year; 2 the issue, 3 the title, and things like subject, unit century, year etc etc. the spreadsheet is storable by the columns, so I I want to find articles about the Crimean war I can sort by column H, the conflict which will show me the appropriate lines/issues.

Screenshot 2022-09-30 at 16.16.15.png

Using multiple columns can refine things further, for instance using columns H (Nationality) + K (arm of service) + J (Nationality). I could see all of the articles relating to the German airforce in WW1, or WW2, British airforce in either war.

Screenshot 2022-09-30 at 16.22.38.png

I doubt if it will ever be truly finished, about 2/3rd of the way through the process I added column O so that is not filled for the earlier years.

Peter

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A work of distinction Peter. You must be chuffed at the outcome .

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

Jim - professional if you don't look too closely, especially the earlier ones which were a bit of a learning curve.
Allen - no party, just modelling .

I do already have an index. Something I started working on around the millennium - a large Excel spreadsheet; over 5,851 lines of data!

Each line is an article in MM, the columns are for different characteristics of the article. Column 1 is the year; 2 the issue, 3 the title, and things like subject, unit century, year etc etc. the spreadsheet is storable by the columns, so I I want to find articles about the Crimean war I can sort by column H, the conflict which will show me the appropriate lines/issues.

View attachment 464014

Using multiple columns can refine things further, for instance using columns H (Nationality) + K (arm of service) + J (Nationality). I could see all of the articles relating to the German airforce in WW1, or WW2, British airforce in either war.

View attachment 464015

I doubt if it will ever be truly finished, about 2/3rd of the way through the process I added column O so that is not filled for the earlier years.

Peter
I just realised that I forgot to mention - if anybody would like a copy of this index spreadsheet, send me a pm and I will email a copy to you.

Petrt

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Cheers guys - I am quite pleased; both with the results and to have finished it!

Peter