Its NOT a Stug!! Tamiya 1/35 Brummbar + Easy link Ostketten tracks

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon all, NO I have not lost the plot :rolling:

Had two days planned in the garage , modulation, practice fading, chipping etc, etc even prepared some old side skirts but defrosting Julies car (minus 4) soon put me off as the garage was b''''dy freezing:dizzy:

So what to do (mojo ok and for the time being energy up) so having a bash at a the new Tamiya Brummbar
brummbar 005.JPG
brummbar 001.JPG
brummbar 002.JPG
brummbar 003.JPG
brummbar 006.JPG
brummbar 004.JPG
Plus
brummbar 007.JPG

Almost finished

brummbar 008.JPG
brummbar 010.JPG
brummbar 011.JPG

Not much left, dreaded wheels plus steel ones and side skirts and brackets, will leave the skirts off and do on there own

Hope you like :thinking:

cheers bob

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Nice start Bob

even if its not a Stug!

Don't forget the schurzen will need a wider stand off with the Ostketten tracks

Have fun and keep warm

Steve H

Reactions: JR

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening Steve and thanks

Lot warmer in the house! Good point ref the skirts, waiting for somone to spot that :smiling5:

Off to search the web!

Bob

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Scottie

Will try to beat it up a bit, maybe use chipping fluids

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good Bob and whilst it may not be StuG it does still have Sturm in the name somewhere!!

• Haha

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Evening Steve and thanks

Lot warmer in the house! Good point ref the skirts, waiting for somone to spot that :smiling5:

Off to search the web!

Bob

I seem to remember seeing somewhere in one of my books schurzen brackets with a fold out section that made them clear the wider tracks :thinking:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice build Bob. Did it go together okay? Looks a nice kit. If your cold go hug a a Stug LOL

• Haha

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Simon

Looking through my small StuG books, impossible to see on photos but on a drawing you can see a extended frame/bracket on the skirts not the frame on the vehicle. Looks like i will use the kit tracks as i want to use and practice on the skirts i keep the ost tracks for a stug build, plenty of photos with StuGs on winter tracks and no skirts.

Hi Steve, nice and easy, the armour texture is excellent

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks fun Bob, and you'll love those tracks. :thumb2:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Simon

Looking through my small StuG books, impossible to see on photos but on a drawing you can see a extended frame/bracket on the skirts not the frame on the vehicle. Looks like i will use the kit tracks as i want to use and practice on the skirts i keep the ost tracks for a stug build, plenty of photos with StuGs on winter tracks and no skirts.

Hi Steve, nice and easy, the armour texture is excellent

Morning Bob - had a look through my library. The dual brackets I remember seeing only appear to have been fitted to late model Panzer IV's (two concentric pivoting U shapes fitted to edge of track guards - small one for normal track, flip down the larger U for the wider track)
Panzer Tracts on the Brummbar has nothing to indicate that they were ever fitted with extended tracks nor any bracket arrangements, either on hull or schurzen, to facilitate such
Never say never, someone will probably come up with a picture, but it appears unlikely based on what I can find

IMG_2647.jpgIMG_2648.jpg

Last edited:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Simon

Thanks for doing the research i know a bit about Stugs but bugger all about the brummbar apart from its ugly :thumb2:

I too cannot find a photo, only of other models and without the skirts, it was just a idea as i have never used winter tracks, so i have a choice

Fit them and just place some skirts against the body as extra Armour or fit some of them, and use the kits rubber bands?

bob

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Bob,

I too have never seen a picture of a StuPa IV (SturmPanzer IV) 'Brummbär' with ostketten on them. As your kit is of the late built model with a MG over the drivers compartment, it most likely served in Italy. There would be no reason for ostketten to be used...

As Simon's pictures above show, this mounting was for the Thoma Schurzen used on PZ IV Ausf, H-J and on Jagdpanzer IV/70 (A) vehicles which used both normal and ost ketten. I also see that the book calls regular 400mm tracks "Somertketten" (summer tracks?). Never heard that term before and it is spelled Sommer, not Somert….HTHs.....

Prost
Allen

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Bob,
Well you all lost me with the Ost this and Schurz that, but will still stick around and watch the fun.
Cheers,
Mike.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I'm sure in that book with "Somertketten" they meant the opposite of winterketten. Thus normal tracks. It means indeed 'summer track' in German though...

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
As Allen said, that would be Sommerketten.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Allen, i as i said i know bugger all about a Brummbar but i am being well educated. many thanks :thumb2:

Enjoy Mike, my brain hurts:tongue-out3:

I am not using the tracks now and will keep for a StuG, want to play around with the skirts, damage, weathered etc so will use the rubber band tracks and skirts, surprised that Tamiya did not use there excellent link and length tracks :angry:

Right back to the ugly beast, almost ready, the holes on the front plate are for spare tracks so will paint first before fitting, same goes for the tracks on the lower bracket

Kit comes with 8 steel wheels, so placed them at the front on both sides, i assume they were used due to the weight of the gun?

brummbar 1 002.JPG

Might leave a skirt leaning against the body, but will damage it first after thinning it

brummbar 1 003.JPG
brummbar 1 004.JPG

Soon to join the others in my blo++dy cold garage

Hope you like chaps :upside:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Bob,

No problems Bro, if I can help out in any way, just give me a shout. They weren't the prettiest thangs, but had one hell of a bang for the buck! The steel wheels were used exactly for that reason, overweight on the Pz IV chassis...

First used in Kursk supporting Ferdinands and radio-controlled Borgward IV's. The Brummbärs were to bombard the soviet infantry emplacements, the R/C Borgwards were to take out the fixed emplacements and bunkers, so the Ferdinands could move forward, with their 88 mm guns and take out the supporting tanks and whatever else moved. They made slow progress on the first day, but didn't count on the minefields that were laid in depth. Broken tracks stopped more vehicles than enemy fire on the first day of the offensive.....Just some useless info about the 216th StuPa group at Kursk....

Prost
Allen