Its part of the Bismarck, honest

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
OMIGOD!! That truly is ENORMOUS,and as Ron said,it certainly brings home just HOW big these ships were!! :thumb2:
As for our current "Royal Navy",don`t get me started!......
Obviously it changed a LOT since the old Spithead reviews to my time,BUT i did my M.O.D Electrical Fitter Apprenticeship in Devonport Dockyard,and was in there from 1982-1986,even in those days,you could wander along the yard and there`d probably be about 20-25 ships of various types,(Frigates,Assault Ships,Destroyers etc tied up along the various quays/basins........... Now,when you look in from over the river,you`re lucky to see 2 or 3 in the entire place!!:dizzy::dizzy::sad:
Andy

Last edited:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Andy, imagine the Yamato turret !! Very sad to see all the armed forces in similar states, but i surpose with tough spending cuts and almost peace?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The other loss is manufacturing capacity. The Grand fleet was produced at a rate of around eight battleships and supporting lighter ships (many more cruisers, light cruisers, destroyers, and support ships) per year! We have a minor fraction of that capability these days.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
The other loss is manufacturing capacity. The Grand fleet was produced at a rate of around eight battleships and supporting lighter ships (many more cruisers, light cruisers, destroyers, and support ships) per year! We have a minor fraction of that capability these days.
Got a lot of the books on the shipyards, love watching the dreadnoughts being built.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
To put my last statement in context….
At Jutland in 1916 the grand fleet deployed 28 battleships, 9 battle cruisers, 8 armoured cruisers, 26 light cruisers, and 79 destroyers. Pretty much all of them were brought into commission in the previous ten years, after Dreadnought was commissioned in 1906. This was by no means the whole British fleet, which shows the phenomenal build capacity in Britain at that time. If you wonder how we could possibly afford it, well in 1914, on the eve of the war, 20% of ALL trade worldwide was British….
Just goes to show the damage war can do to an economy.