Iwata Advice

P

Paul1978

Good evening all!

Well, X-Mas is around the bend and I have asked Father Christmas to upgrade my tools somewhat.

I have a Badger 100 duel action which has served me well and for the compressor I have the AB-AS176 Finespray Pixie Mini Piston type which i need to be rid of. It was my first one considering i was starting off a while back. Trouble is the air pressure isn't constant and there's no humidity trap. So i'm not doing my Badger any justice.

Sooooooo I need something sweet. I've been looking at Iwata. I'll start with the compressor. I've been eyeing up the Smart Jet Pro. Does anyone know anything about this baby?

As for the airbrush itself, I have no idea which one to choose. But I feel i need to choose between one from either the Eclpise or Revolution range. Like most modellers I'm just looking for something which gives me regular and fine control. So if anyone has any experience of recommendations, i'd love to hear.

Thanks

Paul:thumbsup:

R

Richy C

Depends on your wallet mate , but a lot of us now swear by the Revolution range be it the CR or BR , John does both although the cheaper end of the Iwata range its a fantastic airbrush and superb value for money , at the moment a few of the lads (including myself) have the CR which has the 0.5mm setup but a few of us are also getting or got the BR 0.3mm nozzle kit from John for finner work ,

in my honest opinion I would go for the Revolution CR 0.5mm ( bigger cup ) and then get the BR 0.3mm nozzle kit for fine work , I`m sure John can sort out the nozzle kit if needed

again mate just my opinion I`m sure others will disagree

Richy

F

Fenlander

I would agree with Richard, especially as I am one of those who has the CR and added the .3mm nozzle/needle set. Knowing what I know now, I would have bought the BR with the .3mm needle as standard even though I like the big cup.

Main reason I think I could now get on with the small cup is that as getting the paint mixed well and consistent is more important with the smaller needle set (blocks more easily), I have now started mixing the paint in a small pot before pouring it in the cup. On this basis, the small cup filled twice from the pot is no problem.

As for the Smart Jet Pro. Never used one, will do as soon as I can afford one, 'nuff said......

P

Paul1978

Cheers for that lads.

Useful to know and if i'm to trust anyones opinion, it's you two. In general the notion of doing finer work worries me the most. My Badger and my Katie Price of an air compressor just can't handle anything fine and result in splash/spider effects when doing camo. So i need something which is more Cameron Diaz. I'll check out Iwata's website then order from John. I definately won't order here in Moscow because the chances of buying a fake Iwata are pretty high. I already upset a shop owner on Friday by pointing that out - about his Iwata range.

As for the compressor, well Graham, i see your point and will buy one. I might have to pay as much for shipping the damn thing over as the compressor costs itself. Oh well, i'll just have to blackmail Nastya somehow.

Cheers lads. Great help ;)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Paul I've got several Iwatas and have to say my favourite is my Eclipse CS. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Revolution range I just find the Eclipse a bit smoother (you'd hope so for the extra spondulics!).

As for a compressor I consider the main important points to be.

1 NOISE can you live with it?

2 Regulator

3 Water trap

4 Resevoir.

The rest,as they say,is mere embellishment.

Cheers

Steve

P

Paul1978

Cheers for that Steve. I have been leaning towards the Eclipse range as so many users maintain that work can be done somewhat finer. And just as Snapper says the Eclipse has made easy work of mottling. My current hardware would muck that up a treat.

Thanks for your help lads.

Paul

S

snapper41

I bought an Eclipse BS at Telford last weekend. After my knackered Aztek A470, it's a revelation - I've hardly put it down! Made easy work of Luftwaffe mottling on my 1/32 FW190.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul

I have the Smart Jet Pro compressor - excellent bit of kit. Only had one spot of bother with it,after 5 years of abuse, and even that was solved when I cleaned the piston head!

Cheers

Paul

R

RickBrown

I can recommend the CR, I have one with 0.3mm conversion and its far better than me! In hindsight, I think the BR would have been better if you don't need a large cup. You can get the 0.5 conversion for it at a later date if you want. CR with large cup and 0.5mm needle or BR with small cup and 0.3mm, horses for courses I guess. The Eclipse looks a nice brush (careful with typo's on that one..).

Not had any problems with clogging using Tamiya at about 1:1 X20 with 0.3mm setup or Humbrol with X20 at about....Hmmm, guess work ratio, its much thicker than Tamiya to start with!

Rick.

P

Paul1978

Cheers for that. I'll take that all into account when i'm allowed to use my credit card again after Christmas :smiling3: