IWATA Eclipse HP-CS or Harder & Steenbeck Evolution CR plus Two in One

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Hi all. I'm new here and came across the forum after having placed an order from the shop.

I'm getting back to scale modelling after perhaps 15 years away and no doubt will have many questions.

I have a choice between the two airbrushes in the title. The Iwata with a 0.35mm nozzle or the H&S with the 0.2mm / 0.4mm combo.

The Iwata is £40 cheaper and I will be mainly painting 1:72 & 1:48 scale aircraft with he odd 1:35 tank for good measure .

Paint wise it will be Tamiya and Vallejo acrylic with some Humbrol enamel.

As it's been years I'm classing myself as a novice again so which of the two would be the better options for me, would the Iwata meet my needs as it is a few quid cheaper, but concerned it may limit me when I get some practice in.

Thanks in Advance

Warren

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi, for me it would have to be the H & S have that exact airbrush, haven't tried the Iwata though. I like the H & S because it's easy to strip and clean, has a proven track record and mine is simply brilliant to use no issues what's so ever. Another point is with the H & S you can remove the cup where as with the Iwata its fixed, helps with cleaning. Others might give you more information, hope this helps.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I asked a similar question a couple of years ago and ended up with the H&S 2 in 1. From memory the H&S is easier to strip and clean than the Iwata, and it's always handy having the extra needle. Saying that I rarely use the .2 as the .4 is good for most things. :smiling3:

A

Awins

Hi Warren,
If I had a pound for every time that I read that someone is returning to midel building after many years of absence, then I would be a rich man.
Anyway welcome back. To answer your question for me the H&S I now have three of them and use each for different things.
I've never had any issues with any of them. They are a quality product in every way. Should you need them spares are readily available and don't cost the earth. Further, they have to be one of the easiest airbrushes to strip and clean with no tools required.
Enjoy your modelling cheers Alan

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Warren
I have the H&S 2in1 and an Iwata with a 0.3 needle. As has already been mentioned the H&S is much easier to clean. That said both airbrushes perform really well - my skill is the limiting factor. Either would suit you and I very much doubt either would limit what you want to do.
Jim

Reactions: JR

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Never used a H an S but have 2 Iwatas, i personally find them easy to use, strip and clean

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Hi Warren,
If I had a pound for every time that I read that someone is returning to midel building after many years of absence, then I would be a rich man.
Anyway welcome back. To answer your question for me the H&S I now have three of them and use each for different things.
I've never had any issues with any of them. They are a quality product in every way. Should you need them spares are readily available and don't cost the earth. Further, they have to be one of the easiest airbrushes to strip and clean with no tools required.
Enjoy your modelling cheers Alan

My wife got me an Airfix kit as a stocking filler for Xrimbo and off we go :smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Warren
That compressor looks like the one loads of us have. It is made in quite a few slight variations. The main thing is it has a tank and is fairly quiet.
Have fun.
Jim

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Warren, welcome to the forum, I'm like Jim have that compressor in slightly different format but brill.
Use H&S Ultra , and the Evolution with that same size needle as you quoted. Both simple to strip down an unaffected by cleaning fluids, not the case in some cheaper Chinese copies.

D

Deleted member 7181

You may be starting to see a theme here, but I'm a H&S owner too.

I'd definitely class myself as an Iwata fan boy as I've invested thousands in their sprayguns for my day job, but the ease of stripping & cleaning, plus the interchangeability of parts between models is what drew me to H&S. And if you have as much bad luck with Vallejo as I've had you'll be stripping it regularly!

• Haha

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Another H & S user here! I'm opposite to Bob (Bowcat) though, I use the 0.2mm nozzle all the time. With the 0.4 I put too much paint on.
Pete

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I have an Iwata CR Revolution (0.4mm and a 0.2mm conversion) and if i'm being totally honest, i wish i'd saved up a little more for the H&S. Whilst the Iwata sprays everything my skills allow, the cleaning of it is a pain.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I bought an H&S CR 2in1 - don’t like it! I know lot of people do though

Now use Iwata Neo TR for general base coats, varnish etc

A £10 Iwata clone off ebay for basing glue such as Precision Ice and Snow

A MIG Air Viper and an Iwata TR0 both in 0.2 for the detail stuff

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Another H & S user here! I'm opposite to Bob (Bowcat) though, I use the 0.2mm nozzle all the time. With the 0.4 I put too much paint on.
Pete
If found the same Pete, full trigger and it's every where, now resort to the feather light touch and still keep the .4.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
If found the same Pete, full trigger and it's every where, now resort to the feather light touch and still keep the .4.

That's where this little aftermarket life saver comes in. An official Iwata flow control gizmo. Basically fit it. Screw it in/out until you reach the desired maximum flow and there you go. No more guess work every time you pull back on the trigger. Fantastic for doing Luftwaffe mottling ;)

IMG_1759.JPG

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's where this little aftermarket life saver comes in. An official Iwata flow control gizmo. Basically fit it. Screw it in/out until you reach the desired maximum flow and there you go. No more guess work every time you pull back on the trigger. Fantastic for doing Luftwaffe mottling ;)

View attachment 369120
Ah that's good, very similar to the Evolution H& S where you can set the amount of trigger movement. The thing is I love the Ultra but It doesn't have that lock .

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Ah that's good, very similar to the Evolution H& S where you can set the amount of trigger movement. The thing is I love the Ultra but It doesn't have that lock .
Yes, it has that, but I'm just not careful enough when it needs the delicate touch.

• Haha