Jakko’s 1/72 Spad XIII C.1 (Starter Set Group Build)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
This is the Revell starter set of a Spad XIII C.1, built per the rules of the group build: nothing that didn’t come with the kit. That rather limited me, as it has just two colours of paint, so at the suggestion of @Tim Marlow, I used the tan plastic as the third colour in the camouflage and mixed the fourth from the other two.

8bdee83c-a87c-4831-8a25-f4cf1664123d-jpeg.337242

8b34a903-1a91-4bf0-8ac4-8b34d17c67a0-jpeg.337243

142ad67f-cb7c-4e31-9ae7-6d36aaf810d5-jpeg.337244

Unfortunately, this left no way to paint black or the light grey for the undersides, so I just left those off entirely :smiling3:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Jakko,

This looks really good considering what you had to work with!!! Decals look great too. Still can't understand why there were only 2 colors in the kit...……….

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jakko
That is a great result especially considering that the kit paints were woeful.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
This looks really good considering what you had to work with!!!
Thanks, but the kit is actually nowhere near as bad (or should I say: basic) as it looks at first sight.

Decals look great too.
That’s probably because they’re “printed in Italy” (as it says on the sheet) which probably means Cartograph :smiling3: Way better than the decals Revell used to have in the ’80s, that’s for sure.

Still can't understand why there were only 2 colors in the kit...……….
Like I said before, I think it’s basically to get you started and encourage you to buy the other paints separately.

That is a great result especially considering that the kit paints were woeful.
The paints themselves are very nice — they brush well and cover well. It’s just that you don’t get nearly enough colours :smiling3: If they’d only also put a put of light grey paint in there, it would have been much more useful. But the underside is supposed to be mixed from two colours, so I suppose that’d why they didn’t.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Considering what you had to work with a good outcome.
And thanks for taking part.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m actually fairly impressed by this kit — given its age, detail is far better than I would have expected had I known it before buying :smiling3: Sure, no need to bother with the starter set, really, and even for beginners it’s not actually one to recommend (both for the lack of paints and that the parts need a bit of work to fit well), but even just painting it properly and adding rigging would result in quite a nice model.