It’s the sound generally written in English as <sh> :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The next step of paint is on:

59DD50C9-44BD-4D5A-857F-9E94E2D32517.jpeg

Vallejo Field Drab sprayed over the OD base, in the centres of panels and to create highlights.

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I had forgotten to highlight the dusty underside of the hull and suspension, so I did that today:

E45F807D-9613-4E0C-86AF-E02E73C5D7FE.jpeg

Just some sand mixed with white, and then a bit more white. It should hopefully get toned down a little with a subsequent wash.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Next was an overall coat of Mig wash for olive drab, which is a green colour that I was not too sure will look good on OD (which, as I’ve mentioned before, is not green), but it worked out OK. The lower hull and suspension instead got a wash of thinned-down Army Painter soft tone:

615F8CC7-5C3B-4AAE-81B3-B83338222400.jpeg

The olive drab wash has given the model a bit of a shine, which I’m not too thrilled with. Once dry, it was followed by drybrushing with two shades of olive drab paint for the upper hull and turret, and two shades of pale sand colour for the underside:

D76BAF59-F205-4807-91B6-69A45AA1B863.jpeg

That has taken some of the gloss off, but I may still have to put a matt varnish coat on later, perhaps.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Jakko that is looking great I like the different shades they blended well

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Loving that :smiling3:
Very cool tone effects.... Something I struggle to achieve, especially to that kind of standard !!
Good stuff mate,
Andy

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Trust me, if I can do it, then so can you :smiling3: The only real skill involved is enough airbrush practice to be able to spray reasonably finely: I didn‘t do more than put an overall coat of olive drab onto the model, followed by spraying field drab (an ugly greenish-brown colour) in semi-random patterns onto most panels, larger areas of raise detail, the top of the gun barrel, etc. — the idea is to avoid edges with this, so it ends up in the middle of open areas. Then it was just an overall wash with a darker version of the base colour and an overall drybrush with a lighter one of same. No fancy painting techniques involved at all :smiling3: Just give it a try on your next model — if it goes wrong, just re-spray the whole thing in the base colour and you’re back to being able to use your normal methods instead :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Those tracks are annoying to paint, largely because I already put them on before painting. If I had intended to show the undercarriage as muddy, this wouldn’t have been a problem, but as I want a dusty impression, I need to paint the inside of the track as well as the wheels as fairly clean. This because the wheels would, of course, clean the tracks and themselves of dust just by the tank driving.

With a fairly fine brush, I first painted the inner surface of the track with gun metal and the roadwheel tyre surfaces (but not their sides) with dark grey:

87EAD5E3-B2CD-4E77-B9E1-8E677E089CD2.jpeg

I also drybrushed the outside of the track with the same gun metal, to show the dust being wiped off the profile by the road:

1EF5A6E4-E0D7-4858-8312-1C244665169C.jpeg

Once this had dried, I painted the tyre surfaces with diluted Indian ink (mixed about 1:1 with water):

53FD96EB-D393-4BAD-B9CA-A8B11597D9B6.jpeg

The steel surfaces of the return rollers and idlers still need to be painted olive drab for the same reason, and then some more dust added, I think. The metal rims on the roadwheels also need this treatment, because those would probably be wiped clean too.

I also applied the decals, which isn’t much, really:

C1E46379-E53B-4856-83AD-CDA64273C692.jpeg

This shows two of the three :smiling3: The third is a similar triangle on the left side of the turret, and that’s it.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jakko
Very nice job painting the tracks. Patience and a steady hand. The one small advantage of fitting the tracks before painting is there is no danger of chipping paint or glue marks.
Even a few decals make a lot of difference.
A really nice result all round.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks once more, all :smiling3:

The one small advantage of fitting the tracks before painting is there is no danger of chipping paint or glue marks.
I must say I prefer touching up glue marks over having a hard time getting a brush into areas that are easily visible between those guide teeth and under the wheels, though :smiling3: