Thanks for all your comments
A fair bit of progress and now I have the glue situation sorted I'm actually enjoying it. I bought some lead shot the fishermen use. Cut them in half and put the required 7g in the nose and added a good amount of PVA.
Cleaned up a load of parts. Painted all the undercarriage bits and pieces. Needed 5 or 6 very watery coats.
Sanded down the glue that had squeezed out of the fuselage joins. Once again I was over the moon with the fit. The hardened glue filled in any tiny gaps that there were.
Thanks for your continued kind words.
I have done the bit I was dreading - the upper wing and tail booms. The fit was again perfect but the upper wing was slightly warped. Normally I would simply have clamped it in place and used CA. The kit glue is quite slow drying and I wasn't going to be able to hold it in place long enough for the glue to take. Luckily the Airfix styrene responded well to a dip in hot water and then into cold. It only needed a few hot/cold treatments and the warp was gone
Painted the canopy frame. Don't half miss a nice set of Eduard masks and the airbrush The clear plastic doesn't take paint well and my hand wasn't as steady as I thought but should look OK when all put together.
Construction is now done. Actually just the lower wing parts to fit and true to this kit they went on easily.
So paint time . I know what a problem this has been for many in this GB. To be fair the main issues have been with gloss paint. Airfix said use no11 silver for the body and wings. The silver paint (no11) was very "silver" but the kit also provided aluminium (no56) which was quite dark. I mixed the two paints in the ratio of 2/3 silver- 1/3 aluminium. I also diluted it quite a lot with water. I added a drop of washing up liquid to break the surface tension. I cut the larger of my two brushes and also squeezed the ferrule flatter to try to make a broader, flatter brush. I reckoned that many very watery coats might be best. I split the model into sections and made a chart which I could use to record the number of coats. I tackled one area at a time and worked quickly so the area stayed wet and didn't drag the paint. I also tried to paint in the direction of the airflow over the plane.
Doesn't look very metallic yet but it is coming in places.
This is where I'm at
A long way to go yet.
Also one of my balls is loose!! .......... I of course mean one of the lead balls in the nose. I now have a Vampire with a rattle.