Jim R's Airfix 1/72 De Havilland Vampire T.11

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Here we go. Lots of fun just to see what I can do without the hundreds of pounds worth of airbrush, compressor, paints, pots of this and that and all the other gubbins I have collected over the years. I didn't build models as a child so this is my chance to recapture a lost childhood :smiling:
Thanks Peter for the idea for this GB. Here is my contribution.
P1050672.JPG

P1050806.JPG

P1050807.JPG

P1050808.JPG

P1050809.JPG

6 paints and 2 brushes!! - aren't I the lucky one :thumb2:

Jim

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Good luck there's always one who has to have more paint than anyone else:tongue-out3:
And I do recommend that you give the kit a good wash and I speak from experience as in the past I have ruined many a starting kit because I didn't wash it.

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Two Brushes Senior, there's a lot of silver paint to be done without brushes. Good luck with the build sir.
Pete.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Peter - I shall definitely wash the sprues especially as I'm not allowed primer and I want the paint to stick :smiling2:

Well I may have 6 paints and 2 brushes but I have already run into problems. Firstly I can't use the two pilot figures as I have no skin coloured paint and nothing that would mix to a flesh colour. No real problem 'cause I'll simply make it with the canopy open and say the pilots have gone for a cuppa :thumb2:
The real problem is that the instructions say I need to put 7grams of weight in the nose. What do people use that is small and heavy. I have not built many planes and not come across this before. I presume the weight is to balance the model?
Another issue is the decal for the instrument panel. The carrier film around the decal really needs to fold back at the edges but without Micro-sol or similar it ain't gonna go. It may have to have the carrier edges trimmed off.

I reckon Peter has a sadistic streak in him suggesting this GB. Like asking Gordon Ramsey to cook a meal using only the microwave!! :rolling: :cool:

Jim

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
QUOTE="papa 695, post: 431256, member: 516"]
Yes I think Peter is also sick and twisted :smiling5::smiling5: Jim.
[/QUOTE]

And is on commission ! :smiling::smiling:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Lead Jim, try asking asking any shifty looking men in Transits.
John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Good pick Jim, looks like a new mold. The two brushes aren't going to help with covering the body with silver unless you tie them together. :smiling6:

If you fish then you'll be familiar with the lead weights. The big ones are easily cut and hammered into shape to fit the nose compartment. Secure them with CA or two part putty.

We had Vampires in Butterworth back in the fifties.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks guys.
"If you fish then you'll be familiar with the lead weights. The big ones are easily cut and hammered into shape to fit the nose compartment. Secure them with CA or two part putty."
I will look into fishing weights - hadn't thought of that :thumb2:
".... shifty looking men in Transits"
I shall certainly look for shifty men in transits for suppliers of lead. If I don't find any there is a church down the road and I'm sure they wouldn't miss a bit of their flashing.
Jim

• Haha
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Jim if you're after lead weights just go to your local tyre outlet and ask for half a dozen old wheel balance weights.
Pete.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Cheers Pete - good idea.

This kit says "Skill Level 1" - I must be at "Skill level 0" :sad: Need more advice please!

In the instructions (stage 7) we join the fuselage halves together. There is a box at the top right with a question mark indicating an alternative. It would have me drill two holes in the bottom of the fuselage to attach whatever those bits in the box are. They are not numbered and there is nothing on any of the sprues that look like those parts.
P1050810.JPG

Also you can see where the 7g weight goes.

Jim - very confused.com!! :thinking:

Reactions: JR
R

Ranwulf

Jim
Your Vampire must have been offered in a 'Dog fight doubles' kit at sometime in its life. Holes are for a stand(pictured) and a second aircraft would have been marketed.
It may still be offered??

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Randall
A stand - that answers the question. Thanks
Jim

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Your Vampire must have been offered in a 'Dog fight doubles' kit
I have just had a good look on the old net and on scalmates but I can't find any reference to being offered in a dogfight doubles kit if it was It wasn't they must have very few.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
It was the stand that was confusing me. I suppose it was either part of another boxing of the Vampire or maybe stands can be bought separately. The kit is actually quite modern and the parts have crisp detail and no flash. The fit seems excellent as well.
Jim