Jim R's Airfix 1/72 De Havilland Vampire T.11

First Name
Wouter
Using awful glue and go on with it...what a brave man...bit sadomachistic as well :tongue-out3:.

Nice work so far Jim, it's looking good I must say. Looking forward to see that Focke Wulf being built as well by the way.

Keep up the good work!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good for you Jim.
No doubt you are at the show fighting the urge to buy.
John .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Thanks for all your comments :thumb2:
A fair bit of progress and now I have the glue situation sorted I'm actually enjoying it. I bought some lead shot the fishermen use. Cut them in half and put the required 7g in the nose and added a good amount of PVA.
P1050821.JPG

P1050822.JPG

P1050823.JPG

Cleaned up a load of parts. Painted all the undercarriage bits and pieces. Needed 5 or 6 very watery coats.

P1050824.JPG

P1050825.JPG

Sanded down the glue that had squeezed out of the fuselage joins. Once again I was over the moon with the fit. The hardened glue filled in any tiny gaps that there were.

P1050826.JPG

P1050827.JPG

Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Jim,
Given the problems you have been having this is a great result so far.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Looking good Jim, like how the office turned out with the minimal of paints at hand.:smiling:

Great to see yours has a superb fit too, at least some of the new starter sets have the latest from Airfix in them.
Neat solution for the paint application problems too.:thumb2:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Getting there Jim keep the faith !!

Bob

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Thanks for your continued kind words.
I have done the bit I was dreading - the upper wing and tail booms. The fit was again perfect but the upper wing was slightly warped. Normally I would simply have clamped it in place and used CA. The kit glue is quite slow drying and I wasn't going to be able to hold it in place long enough for the glue to take. Luckily the Airfix styrene responded well to a dip in hot water and then into cold. It only needed a few hot/cold treatments and the warp was gone :smiling:

P1050828.JPG

P1050829.JPG

P1050830.JPG

Painted the canopy frame. Don't half miss a nice set of Eduard masks and the airbrush :sad: The clear plastic doesn't take paint well and my hand wasn't as steady as I thought but should look OK when all put together.

P1050831.JPG

Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Look great Jim, I’d have put money on you making a great job of this anyway!
even so it’s all coming along nicely:thumb2:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well I hope my canopy looks somewhere near as good as that.

Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all

Construction is now done. Actually just the lower wing parts to fit and true to this kit they went on easily.
So paint time :rolling:. I know what a problem this has been for many in this GB. To be fair the main issues have been with gloss paint. Airfix said use no11 silver for the body and wings. The silver paint (no11) was very "silver" but the kit also provided aluminium (no56) which was quite dark. I mixed the two paints in the ratio of 2/3 silver- 1/3 aluminium. I also diluted it quite a lot with water. I added a drop of washing up liquid to break the surface tension. I cut the larger of my two brushes and also squeezed the ferrule flatter to try to make a broader, flatter brush. I reckoned that many very watery coats might be best. I split the model into sections and made a chart which I could use to record the number of coats. I tackled one area at a time and worked quickly so the area stayed wet and didn't drag the paint. I also tried to paint in the direction of the airflow over the plane.

P1050832.JPG

P1050833.JPG

Doesn't look very metallic yet but it is coming in places.

P1050834.JPG

This is where I'm at

P1050835.JPG

A long way to go yet.

Jim

Also one of my balls is loose!! :thinking::flushed::sad: .......... I of course mean one of the lead balls in the nose. I now have a Vampire with a rattle.

Last edited:

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Looking good all built up Jim, nice start on the painting too.:thumb2:

Pretty neat way of keeping track with the chart, you’ll have the best painted finish of us all.:smiling:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Cheers Fernando - secret seems to be multiple thin coats and avoid gloss paint like the plague :tongue-out3:
Here we are after 4 coats and 5 on the upper wings.
P1050836.JPGP1050837.JPG

Maybe one more overall tomorrow and call it a day.

Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice work with the hairy stick Jim!