Jim R's Trumpeter 1/72 Fairey Gannet

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Not a plane guy Jim but this is exceptionally clean work and a bit of an odd bird, I have a plane model somewhere I think...let me check
hmm...hmm...hmm...ah yes here it is.
It's a 1/48 Monogram P38J Lightning! an old kit I'm sure.
Given to me years ago from an old coot, long passed I'm sure. it has been opened and fiddled with but not partially built.
If complete should I attempt it? It would only be the third ever plane I've built.:worried:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Jim

Looking good and good Dave on the radar dome. It would have been nice if they'd warned you about it being down in flight only.

ATB

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
VERY nice build Jim an the other guys have said all what I think so great stuff
chris

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks guys
Your kind comments have lessened my embarrassment at such a silly error. I just sat at the bench watching the rain come down and listening to Dolly Parton. Cutting and sanding and sticking in a world of my own. I then dry fitted the wheels - arrrrh! Trumpeter should have flagged up the issue. As Jakko said it is always far harder to deal with problems on a part built model.
Had to give a routine blood sample this morning. When I got there the nurse gave me my flu jab and then also said I could now have the shingles injection. I'm full of holes!! No sympathy from the missus - "As we're in town lets do some Christmas shopping" :sad: Life can be so unfair.
Jim

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Looking good Jim and neat that the surgery went well:thumb2:.

Long live those JLC saws:smiling4:.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Managed to make quite good progress on this. Construction is complete. Canopy parts each had a nasty seam along the top.
P1060104.JPG

Scraped off the raised seam and polished the canopy with Tamiya polish on a cotton bud. First time I have used it. 3 levels of coarseness. I worked from coarse, through medium to polish. Excellent stuff :thumb2:
P1060105.JPG

Used the commercial canopy masks - so worth the money :tongue-out3:

P1060114.JPG

P1060115.JPG

Primed with Stynylrez primer - a lighter grey for the underside. Then used a dark grey to preshade. Hope I don't obliterate it as I usually do. Want it to look like Richard F's - well I can but dream :rolling:
P1060116.JPG

P1060117.JPG

Only a few bits to add after painting. Prop tips primed white as they are yellow and I hate yellow so hope the white will help.
P1060119.JPG

Thanks guys for your patience and continued interest
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Looking good Jim,
hope you get on ok with the pre-shade. when I did my F14 tomcat, I was really careful to spray Up to the edge of the pre-shade but not completely over it.....if that makes sense?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
All looking very tidy Jim. That 'dustbin' radar thing, I cut mine down, just to save rear weight - I was that paranoid. This model was also the first time I polished a canopy. I was convinced it wouldn't work, but stunned to find out it does.
If you lose the pre-shading (as I often do) not to worry, it's old mate post-shading can save the day.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
What with Christmas, the family and life in general this has progressed slowly although the last couple of days have seen this bird much closer to the finish line.
Sprayed the underside and managed to keep the preshade - drum roll and much opening of bottles :tongue-out3:. Then masked for the grey - took ages!
P1060120.JPG

P1060121.JPG

P1060122.JPG

Grey went on fine. No touch up needed and again the preshade is still just there.P1060125.JPG

P1060126.JPG

Did some detail painting etc - wheel wells and such.
P1060131.JPG

P1060130.JPG

Wheels, props and arresting hook painted.
P1060127.JPG

You will notice that one of the nose wheels has a wire attached. This is because despite the nose weights I added it still wants to rear up on it's tail so the wire will be needed to fix it to a base.

Jim

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Lovely bit of modelling Jim I keep hopein that someone will build one of these with the wings folded in 3 parts that would be a challenge an some thing different but well done so far
chris

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Chris
Thanks. I would have liked to model this with its wings folded. There are aftermarket kits for the wing folds but some are for the Revell kit and the Alley Cat resin set for this kit is hard to obtain and costs more than the kit itself. I'm not clever enough to scratch it although I bet some on the forum could do it.
Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Finished. Decals on. Some basic weathering. Lights and wheels fitted. Despite the warnings and putting in nose weight it was a tail sitter and so I bought a base from Coastal Kits to fix it to - one nose wheel is pinned and glued.
Thanks Si and Steve and all who supported the build. More photos HERE
P1060149.JPG
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
It gets a WOW from me Jim, stunning build paint work and the base. :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Beautiful Jim, just beatiful.

Cheers,
Richard

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hi Jim,
that turned out into a very nice model :thumb2: . I like the paintwork and how you polished the canopy. Cheers, Steven