Jim R's USS Missouri, Meng

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi all
As Bob says "Just one more sleep"
Looking forward to having a go at this most famous of battleships.
View attachment 328165
Haven't opened the bag inside but looks to have many rather crisply moulded, colourful bits.
Jim
Hi jim welcome aboard, will be interesting what you make of this one, good luck with the build but just have fun building it that what this GB is about.
Pete.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
We're off :tongue-out3:

"Big Mo" is an Iowa Class battleship commissioned in 1944. She saw service in the Pacific in WW2 and then in the Korean War from 1950 to 1953. She was decommissioned in 1955 and put into the reserve fleet. In 1984 she was recommissioned and upgraded and saw service in Operation Desert Storm in 1991. She was finally decommissioned in 1992 and in 1995 became a floating museum in Pearl Harbour.

Opened the bag today and was really pleasantly surprised. Meng have done a cracking job. Sprues dated 2018. A very nice booklet of instructions.

And a load of brightly coloured plastic.

There is also a small sheet of stickers - not decals.

Hopefully I will be able to make a start at the weekend :thumb2:

Jim

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi looks very nice kit, good luck for when you start.
Pete.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Made a start. The kit is amazing. It says on the box "press-fit assembly" and IT IS!! :tongue-out3: The parts are so well engineered that it could go together without glue. The only downside is that dry fitting is a problem as once together parts are hard to separate. I have been slightly sanding down the connecting bits so that I can get them apart without damage.
Started with the AA guns and the main guns. Drilled out the AA guns. Tiny bit of filler needed on the AA guns. Still more to go.

Jim

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Jim nice to see you, unfortunately that's the downside of these kits being push fit, I soon learnt that early on with the toon tanks should have mentioned it, as you have said a quick sand and you can get them apart again, I haven't come across a glue that won't glue these together yet and I glue everything on, good luck with the rest of it Jimbo.
Pete.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just arrived this morning, looks fun Jim.
I'll sit with Si and behave .
John .

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Nice start Jim,
Top tip on sanding of locating bits...will have to remember that if I build another one.

Anyone know why John is sat in the garden shed on a deck chair, talking to himself :thinking:

• Haha
Reactions: JR
A

Armorguy

I'm watching this build as I want to give it a go too, have fun Jim !

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Got my mae west and goggles incase someone pushes me over the side...quite a tight fit in the front row. Good start on the dry dock fitting.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim

Doesn't seem to be too much PE. But a very nice looking little Boaty McBoatface. Watching with interest.

John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Thanks guys
When Pete put forward this GB he intended it to be simply fun and fairly undemanding. He was dead right. Sticking bits of this together has been light relief from painting the camo on my HMS Rodney. Very little done but one funnel bit built.
Jim
Anyone know why John is sat in the garden shed on a deck chair, talking to himself :thinking:
I can only guess that matron has sent him there to think about his behaviour. Rather like when I was teaching I sometimes asked the class scallywag to stand in the corridor and consider what he had done :tongue-out3:

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice work on the mighty Mo Jim, neat to drill out the 5’’ barrels.:thumb2:

Will look interesting when completed festooned with AAA in her WWII outfit.:smiling:

ps. That remark brings back memories of standing in the corridor a time too many too.:smiling5:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I would like to point out that I was not responsible for anything, it was Steve Jones, and I did not put the dead frog in
Matrons pocket either,...........Ow.......... that hurt .
John :smiling2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Fernando - I wonder how these kits are designed. Is it just some clever guy or is there a computer programme which can take the actual ship/vehicle/plane or whatever and "distort" it.
John - I don't believe a word of what you say. You will miss playtimes for the rest of the week. The psychiatrist treating matron says it may take a while for her to recover fully :tongue-out3:
The build is complete. Just dry fitted at the moment. One or two bits like anchors still to add. I rather like the brightly coloured, clean look so I think I'll paint it like that. Sort of goes with the cartoon look.
Jim