Joe's 1/22 Artesania Latina San Francisco Cable Car

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Fantastic work Joe, it's really coming along a treat.
Thanks Ian

Joe

just caught up on this. Have to say it looks absolutely stunning!

Very well done.

Andrew
Thank you Andrew

Great work on the roof. Looks fantastic.
Cheers Tim

I used to think it was a cool word, when I thought it was pronounced with 4 syllables: "cle-ress-tor-y", but now I know it's pronounced "clear-story" it doesn't seem so cool! This model is however really cool!
Pete
Thanks Peter. And now I too know how to pronounce it :smiling3:

This is really top drawer stuff.
Great S.B.S. and excellent photos too.

Thanks for being so thorough, Joe.
Thank you for the comment Ron

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Garden chores complete, I managed to squeeze some build time into my life. We left off with the roof construction being completed.

First I filled and sanded the roof, followed by a primer coat. I also prepped the roof sign boards.
20200914_141805.jpg
20200926_180402.jpg
20201005_101451.jpg

The interior got a coat of white. All paint will be gloss varnished once painting is complete. I have discovered that house acrylic paint sprays nicely with water, saving me a fortune in model paint. It also covers really well. I used it as a primer for the top yellow surfaces. The windows and gaps are blanked off with tape so the yellow top colour doesn't get inside too much.
20201028_110919.jpg

First coats of yellow. I think if I did this again I'd get hold of a rattle paint spray can. Getting tired of cleaning the airbrush (or lazy).
20201028_110951.jpg

Two coats in, I attached the sign boards. I might also attach the light fittings. It will be easier to paint them in situ on the roof, and prevent damage to my yellow from CA glue.
20201028_113222.jpg

That's it for now, a brief update which doesn't really show the time it has taken to get this far with the roof, but the result I hope will be worth it.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Joe. Very nice I like working with those wood kits now and then

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Joe. I’ve found out plastic is more forgiving than wood but still like to work with it

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Joe, for a first timer you have done a Masterful job so far. Keep it up.
Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice to see this moving along again. Roof finish is good, especially being all yellow which is hard at the best of times.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Joe
You really are making a great job of this. It will be stunning when complete.
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Garden chores complete, I managed to squeeze some build time into my life. We left off with the roof construction being completed.

First I filled and sanded the roof, followed by a primer coat. I also prepped the roof sign boards.
View attachment 402164
View attachment 402163
View attachment 402162

The interior got a coat of white. All paint will be gloss varnished once painting is complete. I have discovered that house acrylic paint sprays nicely with water, saving me a fortune in model paint. It also covers really well. I used it as a primer for the top yellow surfaces. The windows and gaps are blanked off with tape so the yellow top colour doesn't get inside too much.
View attachment 402161

First coats of yellow. I think if I did this again I'd get hold of a rattle paint spray can. Getting tired of cleaning the airbrush (or lazy).
View attachment 402160

Two coats in, I attached the sign boards. I might also attach the light fittings. It will be easier to paint them in situ on the roof, and prevent damage to my yellow from CA glue.
View attachment 402159

That's it for now, a brief update which doesn't really show the time it has taken to get this far with the roof, but the result I hope will be worth it.
I've seen someone else spray house paint online. I slightly recoiled initially but it worked well as your say.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I haven't had much time to build lately, but have made progress and we are on the home stretch.

Those lights I mentioned. I decided to paint them prior to fitting to the roof. First a coat of black, then gloss orange for the front lights, and gloss red for the rear facing lights. Thank goodness for the Mr Hobby Almighty mini clips. One of the best little investments I made.
20201116_163904.jpg
20201116_165837.jpg

I then fixed two of each to the front and rear of the roof, and to the lower body.
20201202_122029.jpg
20201202_122048.jpg

And in true form I knocked two off the roof, resulting in paint damage so it was back to the paint booth and an aggressive coat of yellow. All fixed up and the white touched up from overspray inside.
20201202_121753.jpg
20201202_121819.jpg

Next session will involve a gloss varnish inside and out for the roof and positioning the bell. Once that is dry I will fit the interior roof glazing, followed by a session of decal placement and strategic varnishing to protect them.

I also have a solid plan for a display base. More soon, thanks for checking in.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Getting there Joe......I'm glad you are considering a display case, this build is just too beautiful to get chucked up on a shelf to get all dusty. Your skill and craftsmanship deserve to be protected and preserved. :thumb2:
Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Beautiful work Joe. These last touches are bringing it home....great stuff!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Getting there Joe......I'm glad you are considering a display case, this build is just too beautiful to get chucked up on a shelf to get all dusty. Your skill and craftsmanship deserve to be protected and preserved. :thumb2:
Rick H.
Thanks Rick. I'm creating a base for it, and it will sit inside a TV cabinet inside, turns out the missus likes it! :thumb2:

Beautiful work Joe. These last touches are bringing it home....great stuff!
Cheers Tim, nearly there :thumb2:

Coming on a treat Joe. You're really making a fine job of this.
Jim
Thank You Jim, glad you like it :thumb2:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I gave the roof a few coats of gloss varnish. Once the coats of varnish were dry, I cut sections of clear acetate to size and glued them into position using PVA.
20201209_154017.jpg

Then I added that wee bell to the front of the roof. Ding ding.
20201209_154049.jpg

Next I applied the various decals. I had reservations about these decals, but they went on fine using normal techniques and Humbrol's Decalfix.

The roof side boards:
20201210_160101.jpg

The rear board:
20201210_155434.jpg

The front:
20201210_160042.jpg

Various tiny external and internal decals (ignore the roof bad fit, it's just resting on the body for now):
20201210_172438.jpg

A few previews. Pretty happy with the colour match between the side number decals and the wine red I used:
20201210_172333.jpg

20201210_172359.jpg

20201210_172412.jpg

If you wanted to leave it there, the build is technically complete. You would just have to add the two sets of bogies and you're done.

But I am going to spend some time creating a base for it, especially to accommodate that section of grip that protrudes below the cable car. Hopefully I can create a street surface, with a groove for the cable and some rails.

Thanks for looking, it's been a long build and I know it takes time to read through all these posts. Stay tuned for the base and reveal, hopefully before Christmas! Until then, keep safe everyone and keep building.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Joe, an extraordinary job on this work of art Sir. I'm quite certain that you will create a fitting base display this beauty. If it were mine, I think I would try my hand at a turntable base like the one down at Fisherman's Wharf ..........that way I could rotate it to view it from different angles as well as add a little more history to an already historic model. Cheers, Rick H.