Joe's 1/22 Artesania Latina San Francisco Cable Car

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Joe

That is looking absolutely fantastic. You should be very proud of that indeed.

ATB

Andrew

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I haven't forgotten about the base or reveal guys, been rather busy but I will get it done soon. January is my completion month for a few projects ;)

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I haven't forgotten about the base or reveal guys, been rather busy but I will get it done soon. January is my completion month for a few projects ;)
Somehow I missed the last batch of pics last month-this is looking utterly brilliant, Joe!
I have very happy memories of a couple of holidays in SF and this is a great reminder. Excellent work and I can't wait to see the finish.
cheers
Neil

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Somehow I missed the last batch of pics last month-this is looking utterly brilliant, Joe!
I have very happy memories of a couple of holidays in SF and this is a great reminder. Excellent work and I can't wait to see the finish.
cheers
Neil
Thanks Neil. San Francisco is my favourite US city to visit. Thanks for looking in again :thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That is not a model, it's a work of art, Joe!
Absolutely spot on in every way.

Nice to see a '29'. Minor detail for everyone on the planet, except me. I spent the first 20 odd years of my life at that number house, and seeing it always makes me smile as it brings back great memories of my 'Informative' early days.

Last edited:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That is not a model, it's a work of art, Joe!
Absolutely spot on in every way.

Nice to see a '29'. Minor detail for everyone on the planet, except me. I spent the first 20 odd years of my life at that number house, and seeing it always makes me smile as it brings back great memories of my early days.
Thank you for the very kind words Ron. Glad you like the number :thumb2:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
The base was created from polystyrene. I first created a concrete style road surface using Selleys filler, and with a watered brush, brushed in a longitudinal direction to resemble the concrete road surface. I glued cardboard from the box to the base to hold the two halves in place.

I then created rails using lengths of styrene strip. The middle rails either side of cable grip are wider than the outer wheel rails. I primed the base with dark grey and then paint the surface using progressively lighter greys, using misting uneven strokes on outer sections, more solid in track area where concrete is used. I added blemishes using washes to enhance the concrete effect, oil stains etc. The rails have a dark tinge of red or rust to them from photos, so I painted them using using steel and burnt exhaust. I painted a double yellow line marking using tape and thin, almost dry brush) coats of yellow. The surround was created from balsa and oiled with linseed.

Here is the completed base:
20210125_141901.jpg

No photos seem to show the stains that well, nor the roughness of the yellow lines. But they are there. The base surround can be lifted off, so the cable car's grip can be threaded into the centre section. Once the cable car is in place, the surround is placed over the top.

That completes this long journey. Thanks for following and commenting along the way, I appreciate it. I hope you enjoyed the build as much as I did.

Completed build thread can be found here: https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/1-22-artesania-latina-san-francisco-cable-car.36829/

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Just caught up with this, read it from start to finish, quite some time to build this but it's been worth it, the result is excellent, just like the real thing but in minature obviously, well done.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Top notch work Joe from the start. Really enjoyed following this great build, you must be very proud.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks guys. I thought about Mike's suggestion for a turn table but it was beyond me with the supplies I had to hand. Glad you enjoyed the build.

DrDemento

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Hi Joe, as others have said, your work is top notch! Coincidentally I have been working on the same kit for about a year, off and on.
I just joined this blog as I was desperate to get some guidance/answers to my own SF Cable Car build. For reference, I've just today finished the 2 "trucks" (a.k.a. Chassis) and about to begin the roof portion of the project. Like you, I hesitated to install & cement the Grip Ass'y since, w/out a display base, the protruding portion of the grip will create a stability issue when I add the trucks to the body. I will use your example to guide me in fabricating my version of your display base. Thanks very much!