Joe's 1/22 Artesania Latina San Francisco Cable Car

First Name
Noel
Nice work Joe. Such an iconic vehicle!
Tried to look one up on line to buy. Appears that Artesania have discontinued this kit.
There is another company OCCRE who make a SF cable car kit in 1/24th scale.
The closed passenger area is in the middle on their kit.

First Name
Chris
The inner formers for the roof ends were shaped to create a slope for the strips that will later make up the roof ends. The strips either side of the roof edge were blended.
View attachment 396860
View attachment 396861

The roof ends are made up of strips of wood that are attached to the structure and once dry at the ends and middle former, will be bent down to the roof ends. Then they will be sanded smooth to the shape of the roof, and filled with putty as required to create a smooth surface. Much like the cable car cabin walls were earlier. The same bunch of strips are used to build the clerestory roof cover later on.
View attachment 396862

Many strips later
View attachment 396865
View attachment 396864
View attachment 396863

It looks like a dog's breakfast at the moment. Once dry I'll bend the ends down, clamp them while they dry, and once that's complete, sand the new structure to shape.
Joe, I am buidling the same kit and have arrived at the Roof build section. Did you water-mist the 27 (or so) slats at either end in order to soften them for bending to conform to the desired shape? What was your complete process? OR was it just a matter of glue, clips, tape & rubber bands??? Thanks - your blog has given me the confidence to complete this challenging kit!!

First Name
Chris
Joe, I am buidling the same kit and have arrived at the Roof build section. Did you water-mist the 27 (or so) slats at either end in order to soften them for bending to conform to the desired shape? What was your complete process? OR was it just a matter of glue, clips, tape & rubber bands??? Thanks - your blog has given me the confidence to complete this challenging kit!!
Nevermind Joe; I reread your post and it makes sense now.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hi Joe, as others have said, your work is top notch! Coincidentally I have been working on the same kit for about a year, off and on.
I just joined this blog as I was desperate to get some guidance/answers to my own SF Cable Car build. For reference, I've just today finished the 2 "trucks" (a.k.a. Chassis) and about to begin the roof portion of the project. Like you, I hesitated to install & cement the Grip Ass'y since, w/out a display base, the protruding portion of the grip will create a stability issue when I add the trucks to the body. I will use your example to guide me in fabricating my version of your display base. Thanks very much!
Hi Christopher, I look forward to seeing your rendition of this kit. Thank yo

Nice work Joe. Such an iconic vehicle!
Tried to look one up on line to buy. Appears that Artesania have discontinued this kit.
There is another company OCCRE who make a SF cable car kit in 1/24th scale.
The closed passenger area is in the middle on their kit.
Hi Noel. There are two types of San Francisco cable car, the Powell Street version, and the California Street version. The Powell Street cable cars can only be operated from the front end, and require turn tables at the ends of their routes. The California version can be operated from either end, and has the enclosed passenger area between the two ends as you said. This means the California version doe snot require turn tables, the operator simply gets out and goes to the other end. Be good to see a California version built.

Hi again Christopher. Sorry, I haven't been getting on the forum as much as I'd like to lately. I see you have resolved the situation and possibly progressed. I'll take a look to see if you have a build log. Happy to help where I can, hoping my build thread is of help to you. Cheers.

First Name
Noel
Joe, thanks for your explanation about the two cable car lines, and why there are single ended and double ended cable cars.
Have been toying with getting the Occre one as it appears to be quite easily available.
Occre have some interesting videos of their one being built on their own website, plus build videos of many of their other kits too.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Joe, thanks for your explanation about the two cable car lines, and why there are single ended and double ended cable cars.
Have been toying with getting the Occre one as it appears to be quite easily available.
Occre have some interesting videos of their one being built on their own website, plus build videos of many of their other kits too.
Not heard of Occre, but a quick search online shows it might build up into a really nice rendition of the San Francisco cable cars