Joe's 1/72 Italeri Bell UH-1H Iroquois

papa 695

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
SMF Supporter
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
15,665
Points
113
First Name
Ian
Nice one Joe, really glad you can join in
 

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
Joined
Jan 18, 2012
Messages
10,498
Points
113
First Name
Joe
I've made a start:

Interior is finished,glazing masked and fixed (minor touch ups to follow)
DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

The doors were donated by an Italeri AB412 kit, as the door windows on the UH-1 kit are an incorrect shape/size. I'll also be stealing the wire cutter parts from the AB412 kit.

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG
 

Steve Jones

SMF Supporter
Joined
Apr 27, 2018
Messages
4,503
Points
113
Location
Plymouth
First Name
Steve
Great to see you have had a chance to get this one off and running. Look forward to seeing this one progress
 

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
Joined
Jan 18, 2012
Messages
10,498
Points
113
First Name
Joe
I have got the main fuselage and interior parts together.
DSC_0013.JPG
DSC_0016.JPG


To make this a late NZ Huey I've so far added to the basic kit:
1. Replacement side doors and windows - from an Italeri AB412
2. Wire cutters - from an Italeri AB412
3. Scratch built the small air vents at the front of the cabin (these are prominent and shown on the box and instructions but Italeri provides no such parts) - from the noses of spare 'missiles'
4. The retractable landing light under the nose beside the lower cutter (masked off for painting) - a clear lens from the spares box
5. The roof-mounted square panel (I think this black panel might have something to do with a GPS aerial?) - made from scrap plastic card
6. The maintenance bar across the forward fuselage ahead of the engine cowl area - made from brass wire
7. The VHF blade aerial atop the engine cowl - spares box
8. Small blade aerial ahead of anti-collision light - spares box
9. The steps on each side of the fuselage (these seem to be unique to the Iroquois in NZ service) - from brass wire
10. A lower rear aerial - from the spares box, trimmed from a missile tail fin
11. HF aerial prongs on the port side (the original zig-zag HF aerial was replaced in the 90's by a straight wire on these prongs. I'll add the wire later) - brass wire inserts
12. Port fuselage strake (a later modification) - plastic card attached using CA glue

Primed up:
DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG
 

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
Joined
Jan 18, 2012
Messages
10,498
Points
113
First Name
Joe
Finally got time to paint this sucker
DSC_0027.JPG
DSC_0028.JPG

Glossed up:
DSC_0029.JPG

And this morning decals on:
DSC_0032.JPGDSC_0033.JPGDSC_0034.JPG

Decals are okay, but not great. I will see how the tail boom black band settles down, if not good I'll strip it and paint the band. The Kiwi roundel is a little on the small side but not much I can do about that. Also missing one or two stencils. Just minor touch ups to go and the tail handles to go on. Nearly there!
 

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
Moderator
SMF Supporter
Joined
Jun 13, 2009
Messages
8,178
Points
113
Location
sheffield
First Name
tony
Almost there joe , the paints looking superb , cheers tony
 

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
Joined
Apr 29, 2018
Messages
2,452
Points
113
Location
Malaysia
First Name
Richard
That's a nice Huey, Joe with lots of add ons. The limitations of plastic mold manufacturing gives us that little bit of work to get it looking the way we want it to. Just the washes for panelling to go. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard
 

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
Joined
Jan 18, 2012
Messages
10,498
Points
113
First Name
Joe
Pretty much complete now, but somehow some paint spray has made its way inside... :angry: Attempting to clean up the mess, but either way I'll post pics in the completed section soon.
 
Top