Joe's 1/72 Italeri Harrier GR.3

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Bit quiet in here and I have a chance to get back into things, so count me in please.

Italeri's 1/72 Harrier GR.3. A nice looking kit, just wish Italeri would dispense with the end-openeing boxes. Three options, one on the way to the Falkands with No.1 Squadron RAF, one in No.4 Squadron markings 1982, and another for a No.1 Squadron machine in winter Norwegian exercise colours in 1986. At this stage I think I'll go with the Cottesmore 4 SQN one.

View attachment 79220

View attachment 79221

View attachment 79222

Box is a little worn, it's been in the stash box since I moved house. Decided to leave my Sea Harrier for the Fleet Air Arm build later in the year.

IMG_2046.JPG

IMG_2055.JPG

IMG_2043.JPG

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
Decided to leave my Sea Harrier for the Fleet Air Arm build later in the year.
i had the same thought! :cool: not quite ready for big plane at the moment

look forward to seeing this go together, dont think ive ever done an Italerai aircraft, what are they like?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This was one of my 'returning to models' builds. I probably didn't do it justice, but seem to remember it was a decent model.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Nice harrier Joe looking forward to this great camo options regards John

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
look forward to seeing this go together, dont think ive ever done an Italerai aircraft, what are they like?
I have a few of Italeri's aircraft kits, they all seem to be very nicely done. No flash to speak of, finely engraved panel lines and the clear parts come in separate plastic bags. The last one I built was the UH-1B Huey for the helicopter GB and it was a nice easy build with only a little filler. I highly recommend their decals too, very easy to work with and not too thick. After a series of old kits this should hopefully be pretty straight forward build-wise. My only gripe with Italeri is their silly end-opening boxes. Nice art work though :smiling3: I think I'm going to have to give some thought to how I paint this one, the wrap-around scheme is a challenge in itself.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Joe.

I rather like the look of the winter camouflage one....

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Nice one Joe.I rather like the look of the winter camouflage one....

Ian M
Next time. I want a traditional looking Harrier for now, and besides, I can't be arsed working with all that white to be honest :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Cockpit is nearly finished. To the ejection seat I have added some home made straps using painted tape and a little ejection handle at the base of the seat using wire. Progress photos will come soon.

I've found some very useful walk around and Harrier modelling links. These may be of use to someone else as well:

A treasure trove of modelling tips and Harrier detail information: http://www.harriersig.org.uk/index.htm

Walk arounds, ejection seats etc, all in one place, and if you feel like it you can buy a real one:

http://www.jetartaviation.co.uk/what-we-do/aircraft/

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice link. I'd rather have the tonka though. Nothing says naff off like a Tornado. Mind you the Harriet would be easier to park! lol

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Today's progress at the end of play. Hoping Tropical Cyclone Lusi doesn't hit like the weather reports say it will tonight/early tomorrow morning. My new modelling area is under the house and I have to brave the elements to get to it!

Ejection seat:

View attachment 79299

View attachment 79300

View attachment 79301

Cockpit installed into nose section of fuselage.

View attachment 79302

Nose section mated with main fuselage which has front compressor blade, air brake detail and the main wheel stub installed.

View attachment 79303

The main wings will go on after the fuselage has been cleaned up a bit. It's not a simple kit, but it does go together quite well with some care and fore-thought. Some minor filling and sanding is next on the agenda.

IMG_2058.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

IMG_2062.JPG

IMG_2068b.jpg

IMG_2074.JPG

D

dubster72

Top work Joe, as ever I'm amazed by the care & detail achieved in such a small scale!

Cheers

Patrick

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wings are now on, and it's looking more like a Harrier. I have taken a couple of Matra rocket launchers from my Fujimi Sea Harrier (Italeri provide only bombs or Sidewinders) for that traditional Harrier ground attack look and exchanged them for the Italeri Sidewinders (The Fujimi ones look like sticks with a bit of sprue blobbed on and as the FRS.1 is more of a fighter aircraft they will be more at home on that). Looking at the two kits, the Fujimi Sea Harrier and Italeri (probably formerly ESCI) kits are eerily very similar in layout and construction. I guess there are only a few ways of building a Harrier in this scale. That will come in handy for the FAA build later and I have made some notes as I learn along the way.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Coming a long nice.

"Build area is under the house"..... I hope you mean in a cellar or basement and not "Under" the house.....

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Coming a long nice."Build area is under the house"..... I hope you mean in a cellar or basement and not "Under" the house.....Ian M
The basement, not under the entire structure. I have a little work shop in there. :cool:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wings attached, then a tidy up of the basic airframe with my old mate Tamiya putty.

View attachment 79403

Filled, sanded, sanded again and cleaned up. Tail fin fitted. Once that is cleaned up the horizontal stabs will go on, then it's time to think about masking. Periphery work has included construction on drop tanks, the Matra rocket launchers and landing gear components.

View attachment 79404

IMG_2080.JPG

IMG_2082.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Horizontal stabilators are on. I'll leave the nose cone and pitot head off for now, they will be prone to damage until the time comes to paint:

View attachment 79414

Research shows that Harriers at rest have the top four intake vents open due to gravity. The fifth vent partially opens. The bottom ones remain closed. When running or in hover mode the vents are all open, and in fast forward flight they are closed as depicted in the kit:

View attachment 79415

So as Italeri fail to provide a pilot or any ability to produce a wheels-up in flight kit, it is time to be brave and crack out the blade, file, sandpaper and some spare sprue:

View attachment 79416

After surgery they don't look too bad but need to be cleaned up. There were casualties, spare sprue was used to shape new spaces between the open vents. The fifth partially-open vent was filed down from the outside to present a sloping surface:

View attachment 79417

A dry fit to make sure they look okay. The intakes will need to be cleaned up some more and added after an initial paint. Now I've done this I now also realise my roundel decal will have to be cut to fit the new surfaces. Yay:

View attachment 79418

IMG_2084.JPG

IMG_2087.JPG

IMG_2089.JPG

IMG_2090.JPG

IMG_2088.JPG