Joe's 1/72 Italeri Harrier GR.3

D

dubster72

That looks nice Joe, although the decal issue is somewhat morbid - I wonder if

Italeri actually know about the pilot's demise? Or perhaps it's a way to mark his memory?

Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers

Patrick

Z

Ziper_it

Super-job, Joe, and very clean compared to my standards.

She is growing up very well.

Francesco

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
How is your canopy progress going Ian? Airfix have to have a canopy for you surely.
I sent them an Email over the weekend telling them about the kit you brought to my attention but with it being a bank holiday got no reply yet

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
That looks nice Joe, although the decal issue is somewhat morbid - I wonder ifItaleri actually know about the pilot's demise? Or perhaps it's a way to mark his memory?

Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers

Patrick
Not sure Patrick, but I was researching the finer points online and found his loss here: http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/aircraft_by_type/harrier/harrier.htm

When you look at the number of Harriers lost in the UK alone it must have been a risky aeroplane to fly, and the pilots lost are a mix of British and American exchange pilots. The later Harriers appear just as frequently in the ejection statistics, as does the Sea Harrier. http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/Aircraft_by_Type/SeaHarrier.htm

D

dubster72

It does seem like it was a risky one, but

I guess the technology needed to make such an iconic aircraft leads to potentially more problems than a standard plane.

All the more respect to the people who flew the Harrier.

L

Laurie

Looking good Joe.

Tip on the blanking off. I scan the plan to the scale of the model. Trace on the outline on to tracing paper with the camouflage lines also traced on. Place on the u/s of the tracing paper tracing the blue tack.

Then lay on the model and attached the blue tack to the model. Blue tack comes away. Helps to use smooth tracing paper.

Then cut from the tracing the bits which are needed for blanking out the grey in this case. Press them on to the blue tack. Job finished.

Nice thing is that the only thing attached to the paintwork is the bluetack.

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Update as of end of play last night. All accessories except under wing stores fitted:

View attachment 81967

View attachment 81968

Gloss coat and decals applied. There were a surprising number of decals.

View attachment 81969

View attachment 81970

A final gloss coat to seal in the decals:

View attachment 81971

View attachment 81972

The end is in sight. Once the gloss coat has dried thoroughly a matt coat will be applied, then navigation and anti-collision lights will be added. Had issues with the roundels, as predicted, over the vents but lots of Humbrol Decalfix and some careful knife work has made them conform.

IMG_2194.JPG

IMG_2196.JPG

IMG_2224.JPG

IMG_2226.JPG

IMG_2238.JPG

IMG_2239.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
If I may ask a question Ian M, are we doing the FAA build, I checked the calendar and it was slotted in for start of May to end of October. If not that's okay, I will take a break from the Harrier mayhem and do something different.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
View attachment 82103

Matt coat has been applied, and the canopy unmasked. Next up are the lights.

Watch for this in the completed section soon. Having an issue with my camera after taking photos of the Bedford for some reason!

IMG_2269.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: