Joe's 1/72 Matchbox English Electric Canberra PR.9

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks Colin and Ralph.

The canopy was polished to the best of my ability. Unfortunately that ejector mark goes right through the plastic, if I sand or rub much more I won't have a canopy left. So I bit the bullet and masked it up. At least it's not as bad as it was originally, and it's shiny!

DSC_0334.JPG

I painted the area that will be visible under the canopy, and after that dried attached the canopy using white glue. The wing joins have now been sanded and smoothed.

DSC_0336.JPG

And because of the size of this model and the overall High Speed Silver scheme, I've rigged up a simple suspension system for drying. Two bent pieces of wire to make hooks; the one in the fuselage is through the stand gap, the other is through the roof of a large box, the holes reinforced with 'bear tape' just in case.

DSC_0337.JPG

For painting RAF High Speed Silver in the past I've used Humbrol 11 silver with a varnish over the top. It worked well on the Vampires, but on such a large surface area the graininess of that paint (it's much greyer than it used to be) will be obvious, so I've done some research and settled on Humbrol 27001 Aluminium Metalcote (not the polished ones).

Primer should go on today.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
A Lionel Richie impression:

DSC_0338.JPG

Of course things are often not what they seam (see what I did there?). Some touch ups and re-sanding were required. Those engine nacelles are a real pain in the backside.

DSC_0340.JPG

I also took the opportunity to prime the stand. A clear stand with 'Lesney Products' etc all over it didn't appeal to me. It's been sanded and is ready for paint. Any ideas for a colour that would suit the silver Canberra without detracting from the aircraft? I have considered painting one side blue, the middle and vertical piece white, and the other side red, British colours.

DSC_0341.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good Joe , i often knock up 'heath robinson' type solutions for supporting/hanging a model for painting too, whether its temporary wooden legs or in the case of some jets a stick up the tailpipe (!!) or as youve done a suspended wire . Its going to look excellent in its shiny silver , and i think youre onto a winner with the three colour stand , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
So, I found a wee sink mark that I missed on the other three 'prime-sand-prime' sessions, so today I have filled and sanded that smooth and touched the primer up. I think I may nearly be ready for paint at last! In the meantime I've decided I'm going to paint the stand a Royal blue colour with the kit decal on the side, a spare RAF roundel on the base front. The aircraft will be banked to the right left, away form the labels with it's tail down toward the pointed ends of the base. The 'crazing' you see is a temporary effect caused by an abortive white spray session. It's all fixed again now and ready for the main colour.

DSC_0342.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Been busy last few days with trying to complete three models.

The Canberra was sprayed with aluminium. At last.

DSC_0343.JPG

Two gentle sprays later and dry after a few days, the mask for the dark grey tail panel is removed.

DSC_0345.JPG

The jet pipes looked too simple and crude as they were, so I cut the ends off a suitably wide brush tube (the ones that go over the bristles), and glued them inside the nacelles. This is more realistic, as the jet pipe is clear to see when viewed from the rear. I then painted the inside matt black.

DSC_0346.JPG

And then the beast was glossed and hung again to dry.

DSC_0348.JPG

Should be able to get some decals on tomorrow. I've prepared them, they were varnished earlier in the process. Really, really hoping they don't disintegrate!

DSC_0349.JPG

First Name
Gwyn
Well done Joe this is coming along great. You are having to use all your modelling skills with this.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks guys. Nearly there now, just the rear fuselage bumper, some engine intake detail, the navigation lights and an aerial wire to go.

The decals worked, the varnish clearly was the only thing holding one or two together, and there were a few minor mishaps but all fixed to the best of my ability. One must remember these decals date from 1976.

DSC_0352a.JPG

DSC_0353a.JPG

DSC_0354a.JPG

DSC_0355.JPG

Couldn't resist a preview of the decalled Canberra on it's stand.

DSC_0360a.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
A final gloss varnish coat and then I can complete the remaining tasks. This thing must have more hours inverted than it does the right way up!

DSC_0363.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Loving this joe , the big high viz roundels on silver is a great look, nearly there now , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks for the comments and following the build everyone. I thoroughly enjoyed this Canberra from the ancient Matchbox kit, must be a record time for me to finish a kit in, and definitely nearly a first to finish a GB on time! The beacon light and tail bumper guard were painted, navigation lights attached, and an aerial wire attached from the tail fin to the aerial protrusion on the forward starboard fuselage. Will post pictures in the completed Group Builds section.

DSC_0371.JPG