Great choice Joe , this one is in my stash too and is on a list of contenders , its a great little kit . I still havent decided what to do for this one , although I'm still waiting for the postie to bring 2 kits that will be on the list .cheers tony
Thanks Tony. Apologies for the delay, our internet went down yesterday and still isn't quite right.
I have two of these, so I am going to do the FAA camouflage (760 SQN) version now and the white one later (I have an Xtradecal D-Day sheet which has another white Hurricane from the same unit on it with invasion stripe options).
Box: End-opening type (boo). I really like this art work, it has since been superseded by new art and a new set of markings but is the same kit:
The Parts: Date stamped 1998 inside, not bad with recessed lines and fine detail. Landing gear wheel wells look to be very nicely done. A little flash around the edges of smaller pieces. Canopy and propeller are probably the let downs for this otherwise good looking kit, but are good enough to pass I reckon. Decals are nicely printed with the roundels having individual centres. The red looks a little too dark, otherwise all good.
Instructions: Printed on '1980s-style comic book paper'. Folded into A5 size, there are only two pages of actual building and two pages of decal placement and painting guides. Some of those build steps are going to be altered I feel.
1. The wing construction: Revell provide the wings in five parts. Two lower halves, two upper halves and a centre section that mates to the fuselage (see sprue shots). It turns out the best way to fit these is to disregard the instructions. Fit the centre section first, then glue the upper halves to the fuselage and centre section. Then fit the lower halves. This will remove the ugly step that I found myself facing. I will definitely do things differently on the second kit of this model I have.
2. Catapult spools: The Sea Hurricane IIC variant was a navalised version of the land based Hurricane IIC. They were intended for use of aircraft carriers and as a result have a hook system but lack any catapult spools, despite what other builds you may discover online may tell you. This is from the Fleet Air Arm website:
Mk I One Hurricane Mk I conversion; Catapult spools and arrester hooks
Mk IA 50 Hurricane conversion; catapult spools only; specially produced for CAM fighter scheme - launched from CAM ships
Mk IB 300 Mk I (merlin III) and 25 Mk IIA series 2 conversions; Catapult spools and arrester hook (MAC-ship service)
Mk IC Hurricane Mk I conversion with four-cannon wings; catapult spools and arrester hook
Mk IIC Arrester hook and naval radio equipment
Mk XIIA Canadian built navalised Mk XII, with Packard Merlin XXIX engine
3. Fuselage: Lacks the area forward of the fuselage that fits under the rear of the canopy section. I haven't bothered to correct it but if you wanted accuracy then you will need to scratch build this area.
4. Canopy: Revell, in their infinite wisdom, have moulded the framing of the main canopy inside the part. This will make for interesting painting. Masking may be out of the question unless you want to buy a mask set. I think I may either experiment with painted decal paper or hand paint using tape strips, one painful frame at a time.
5. Filling: The fuselage fits nicely and only a small amount of filler is required. However the wings require much filling and sanding due to me following Revell's instructions (see above). The radiator and oil cooler will require some filling. The fit of the main radiator to the fuselage underside is poor; I have cut the tab off and got more of a flush fit from it but some filling is required. The rear lower fuselage which contains the hook mechanism fits okay but requires some touch ups. Other builds note that the fit of this part is poor, but I don't think it's that bad. Ironic considering the mess I made of the wing fit.
I have a basic airframe assembled. Once filling and sanding is complete I will post some pictures. Hopefully these brief notes might help someone who intends to build one of Revell's Mk II Hurricanes.
I've ordered some clear decal paper and have decided to use painted decal strips for the canopy. That way the painted decal can be varnished to the same finish as the airframe, something that would be very difficult with brush painted application. I also don't fancy masking on a smooth surface and having any missed framing underneath showing through. It will also come in useful in the future. At least that, and the other various items I purchased at the same time, is my excuse for a quick online splurge
Been rather slow updating this build as our internet connection has been playing up, and work commitments saw me out of town for a while.
I decided to build the second of these kits alongside this GB entry. I'll update photos and progress tomorrow.
Regarding the wing construction, I can confirm that the method of fitting the centre section first, then the upper halves followed by the lower wing halves, definitely works. Disregard Revell's instructions when you build this, it saves an awful lot of filler and time. You also get the correct dihedral using this method.
The GB build is painted and almost ready for a gloss varnish coat. The second build is in a similar state but I'll cover it in a general build thread later.
As already stated I followed the instructions for this build and the result was an ugly step requiring surgery, filling and sanding. If you happen to check out the second build when I get it up you'll see the big difference: