Joe's Raspberry Ripple BAe Hawk ETPS

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
My entry, British Aerospace Hawk T.1 XX342, Empire Test Pilot School, Boscombe Down 1990.

View attachment 112260

The kit I'll be using. It's moulded in red but appears to be a nicely designed kit from first appearances. I also have two Airfix 1/72 Hawks, A02005 and A02005A, so it will be interesting to compare the three.

View attachment 112262

The decals I'll use to replace the Red Arrows kit decals come from Xtradecal sheet X72166.

View attachment 112261

Bae_Hawk_ETPS_XX342_001.jpg

X72166_3.jpg

Revell 04622.jpg

P

Polux

Will be interesting to see the difference between the 1/48 and the 1/72... :smiling3:

Nice one Joe!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
will look forward to this one Joe,some think diffident , ;)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Have made a tentative start and cut some parts from the sprues. Before I start anything radical I'm working on how I'm going to cram the required nose weight into the area forward of the front instrument panel. Revell's instructions require 10 grams in there. The Airfix kit has a much larger (when I say much larger we are talking mm in this scale) cavity due to a box-type construction and only requires 7 grams. I think I'm going to also cram weight under the cockpit floor, so long as it's forward of the main wheels I should be okay. Off to get some weights and cut them into manageable pieces. Then the construction can begin properly.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Have you tried Deluxe Materials liquid gravity before? Its a bottle of tiny balls of shot that flow into small nooks and crannies then you add a glue to bond them together.

View attachment 113375

WP_20150701_21_53_27_Pro.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Have you tried Deluxe Materials liquid gravity before?
Hey Rick, no haven't heard of this stuff before. I'll keep an eye out.

In the meantime I have manipulated a couple of weights into shape and crammed them into the nose cone and under the cockpit floor area. I've now started on the cockpit with basic painting and construction. Pictures will follow later.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice choice Joe , like Ians canberra its another old matchbox mould reboxed by Revell . looking forward to seeing this one progress , cheers tony

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Nice choice Joe , like Ians canberra its another old matchbox mould reboxed by Revell
Thanks Tony. Not sure it is the old Matchbox mould, the recessed lines aren't trenches, in fact the whole thing is quite finely moulded. Just wish they hadn't used a red colour, and the plastic is much more brittle than that of the Airfix Hawks.

Seems from this site that the Revell 1/72 Hawk is in fact a rebox of the Italeri Hawk, which was a new-tool mould in 1995.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/111450-revell-04622-bae-hawk-t-mk-1-red-arrows

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice one. , i assumed it was a repop from when revell bought a load of the old matchbox moulds when they went bust . Better for you though , i imagine the italeri mould will be better detailed inside than the matchbox one was , and it sounds like the exterior is more finely executed too . Cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
i imagine the italeri mould will be better detailed inside than the matchbox one was
Better than the Matchbox, not as good as the Airfix kits. There is no side wall detail whatsoever, but the seats are adequate and the console, instrument panels etc look good (no decals for the instruments in Revell's kit).

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Time for updates.

Firstly I started by solving the weight issue. A quick check of the instructions showed 10 grams was required. The Airfix kits suggest 7 grams. So I crammed 10 grams in using a pair of beaten and folded fishing weights. Unlike the Airfix kits (I also have both the A02005 and the upgraded A02005A 1/72 kits), there is no cavity to hold nose weight. So I utilised the cockpit underfloor area. A check of the C of G shows this will work nicely.

View attachment 113699

I then sprayed the interior and wheel wells the interior grey colour. The Revell 1/72 Hawk has no side wall detail. A dry fit of the fuselage and wing halves:

View attachment 113700

The instrument panels were sprayed and detailed later. The red plastic is a shocker to work with. The kit feels brittle compared to the softer Airfix plastic. In some regards that does make it feel like an old Matchbox mould! There are two mould colours I now hate: white and red.

View attachment 113701

Eventually i got the cockpit assembled and painted. I won't be doing anything not out of the box for this one. The seat belts are moulded into the seats.

View attachment 113702

View attachment 113703

View attachment 113704

IMG_3586.JPG

IMG_3590.JPG

IMG_3591.JPG

IMG_3592.JPG

IMG_3594.JPG

IMG_3595.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Then it was time to zip the fuselage up. The exhaust pipe fits inside the fuselage, the jet pipe being moulded on the two fuselage halves. The interior pipes have no positive fit, you have to dry fit and guess. As a result of the exposed jet pipe being in two halves there is a very ugly seam that requires work. The fuselage halves were not an exemplary fit, there will be a fair amount of filling to follow soon.

View attachment 113705

The fuselage upper aft of the canopy is dry fitted. I'm glad I took time to do this. Always dry fit prior to committing to glue, that is a golden rule. The rear cockpit bulkhead, although positioned flush in its mount and zipped up nicely inside the fuselage, sits proud of the cockpit outline and flush with the fuselage. This prevents the canopy sitting correctly. It required filing and sanding, a task that would have required removal of that upper fuselage piece if I hadn't checked it.

View attachment 113707

After a good half hour of filing and sanding we have this dry fit now:

View attachment 113706

IMG_3596.JPG

IMG_3602.JPG

IMG_3598.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Then the wings were constructed. The wing fences are separate pieces. Not a pleasant part to cement on accurately. Airfix's original new-tool A02005 had the same step, but that was improved in the newer A02005A kit on which the wing fences are moulded to the upper wing halves. Using that kit, I aligned the Revell fences and glued them into place.

View attachment 113708

In this photo you can see the leading edge stall strips have been added. They are optional on the Revell kit. I'm unsure how they are dealt with on the Airfix offerings. XX342 has them so they have been included.

View attachment 113709

The under wing pieces are added. No stores are carried on the ETPS Hawk, so I'll fill in the holes meant for the sidewinders or under wing fuel tanks. The wings have been attached to the airframe. A nicer fit but still some filling will be required at the wing roots in particular.

View attachment 113710

Canopy is masked up and dry fitted. Nice, the first part that has showed promise of no issues so far.

View attachment 113711

I'm dealing with the internal blast shield next. A coat of cream colour around the edges (this is an interior frame on the Hawk and sits under the canopy perspex). Revell wants me to stick it to the inside of the canopy. It appears Airfix stick theirs to the area forward of the rear pilot's instrument coaming.

IMG_3600.JPG

IMG_3601.JPG

IMG_3606.JPG

IMG_3613.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice progress Joe , its throwing up a few hurdles but youre getting over them fine. Could you not use a drinking straw to replace the jet pipe ? the fast food chains (BK ,Mcds )have various sizes that could replace the kit parts . As for the canopy blast shield , its attached to the canopy on the real thing but the problems this would create on the kit canopy mean it might be best attaching it to the coaming after all , cheers tony