Joe's Raspberry Ripple BAe Hawk ETPS

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm dealing with the internal blast shield next. A coat of cream colour around the edges (this is an interior frame on the Hawk and sits under the canopy perspex). Revell wants me to stick it to the inside of the canopy. It appears Airfix stick theirs to the area forward of the rear pilot's instrument coaming.

I had a look at my daughter's Red Arrow Hawk, kit number A02005, for comparison and the Airfix instructions for this kit tell you to fix it to the canopy.

View attachment 113743

image.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Could you not use a drinking straw to replace the jet pipe ?
Great Idea Tony, but the internal jet pipe is okay, it's the exterior exhaust that has the seams. I could cut it off and insert such a straw I suppose. I'll have a think about it, thanks for the idea.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
I had a look at my daughter's Red Arrow Hawk, kit number A02005, for comparison and the Airfix instructions for this kit tell you to fix it to the canopy.
So it does Rick, I was looking at the A02005A instructions which now have you place the shield onto the coaming. I'm not sure how I'll tackle this just yet, if the shield is slightly out it'll stand out like dogs bits against the canopy frame.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I've managed to get the interior shield in using white glue, looks good. Fitted the canopy into place and now cleaning up the obvious flaws and adding aerials and the nose gear doors. I've noticed that, despite the less desirable nature of the Italeri/Revell kit over the Airfix offering(s), there are a few details that Revell have included which Airfix appear to not have. Namely the wing leading edge stall strips, and the rear nose wheel gear door.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
In true jinxed fashion after dropping my Hellcat build, I dropped the Hawk and had to reattach the nose pitot tube and one of the ventral stabilisers. All is well again, I have since repaired, primed, touched up and will apply the first white coat soon. No pictures at the moment sorry. I'm finding the red plastic a shocker to deal with, it tended to bleed through primer. I'm hoping the paint will deal to it, don't think I could stand a pink Hawk!

D

dougie

I heard there is a primer come sealant you get for plastics such as red. It isolates the plastic from the primer coat if you want to use white etc...

I can't recommend one in particular but I found the yellow halfords filler primer covered the red on the Ferrari that bleed through perfectly although you would have to use it sparingly as it's a high build primer.

Last edited:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
After the dry-fitted canopy was removed , the fuselage and wing root gaps were then dealt with in the usual fashion:

View attachment 115660

The canopy was then set into place using white glue, and the tail planes and various aerials fitted. The tail planes were not a positive fit so I again referred to the Airfix instructions to get the correct angles.

View attachment 115661

The intakes are fitted. As usual for jet intakes the fit was less than perfect, so a bit of sanding and filling was required to get a smooth surface. This photo is prior to the smoothing process.

View attachment 115662

Primer time, and farewell horrible red plastic:

View attachment 115663

The white areas are painted (the upper fuselage forward of the tape and the upper surface of the main wings). The red kept on showing faintly through the primer and paint (hence my earlier comments regarding the pink hue), so a gloss white coat was applied and this did the job I was after.

View attachment 115664

Next job will be to apply the signal red paint on the tail section, cheat lines and wing tips.

IMG_3615.JPG

IMG_3619.JPG

IMG_3627.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG

IMG_3642.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks good Joe. Nice shape the Hawk, it still looks quite modern.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks guys. Yes Colin, I like the shape and look of the Hawk. It has to be one of the British aviation industry's best sellers and biggest successes over time.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Cheers Ian. I recently got the Italeri boxing of the Hawk T1 for a great price, still sealed and exactly the same mould. Except it is moulded in white. Still, should be easier than red. Including this one I now have five Hawk T1's. A few variations on schemes are in order to use up that Xtradecal sheet.

The red is going on the Hawk in thin layers, having whitened the tail area as a base colour. I'm having a little trouble with the translucent nature of the signal red paint.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Been a rather busy guy with work and finishing my house renovations, so no further progress yet. To keep the build alive and to ease Rick's mind, I have managed to sneak some colour onto the Hawk, no pictures yet though. Another few weeks and I should be able to get back to building some models.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Well, I'm way overdue on this one, apologies to Rick. But progress has been made. The paint job is not as straight forward as you might think, especially in 1/72 scale. Nearly there, had to (yet again) reattach the nose pitot and just minor touch ups to go. The red looks like it's got an orange tinge in the photos, but I assure you it doesn't in real life.

IMGDSC_0264.JPG

IMGDSC_0265.JPG

IMGDSC_0266.JPG

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Very nice Joe looking forward to the canopy masks coming off and the final reveal.

It looks more 1/48 than 1/72 well done mate .

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Well, I'm way overdue on this one, apologies to Rick. But progress has been made. The paint job is not as straight forward as you might think, especially in 1/72 scale. Nearly there, had to (yet again) reattach the nose pitot and just minor touch ups to go. The red looks like it's got an orange tinge in the photos, but I assure you it doesn't in real life.
View attachment 151365 View attachment 151366 View attachment 151367
It looks great Joe, no worries with being overdue, at the and of the day I'm just pleased that we had a few takers.