Johns 1/35 Zevzda StuG B for Bobs GB

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Coming along nicely mate. For future reference if you dont glue the rear idler wheel until you have fitted the tracks you can adjust the tightness of the track with it allowing you to determine how much sag you want. Nice to see you had your manicure today before taking the photos:thumb2::cool:
Thanks mate, as I'm using those tracks I'd roughly worked out the length of track being able to add or subtract makes it so much easier.
Yes I had to remove the nail varnish as well comes off with just a spot of Dettol, leaves the hands smelling sweetly ready for the manicure.:tongue-out3::upside:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good progress John, what are the tracks like to work with?
Morning Bob,thanks , as to the tracks not too bad, these are rather small in size compared to say a Tiger but easy to work with. Surprisingly they are very clean considering the size of the openings for the tabs to fit into. Easier than the Fruil or Master ones with the resin pin as joining is just a matter of bending the tab over.This is normally done when you have a reasonably size length by running the flat blade of a screwdriver over the each tab as it's drawn along the length. I've been using my Trumpeter track jig to attach them , after that I hold them in a flat line, the videos on Scale War Machines show the use of double sided tape .

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Nice work Mr R,
looks to be coming along nicely....and next to no bother with fiddly tracks On this one :cool:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice work Mr R,
looks to be coming along nicely....and next to no bother with fiddly tracks On this one :cool:
Afternoon Mr Benson, I trust you and the family are all well. Thank you, yes I can cope with these sort of tracks well, in fact I love doing them ! :nerd:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just tried to work out if I can do a stencil for the PRINZ EUGEN on the side, too small to even think about cutting it out, it would have to be about 3 mm in height and 15 mm long. So the option is to hand paint it, will have a try anyway. Going back into the cave after lunch to finish the tracks, so more later. Wet and windy here.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Back having had a reasonable afternoon in the cave , tracks done , the last length took a mere 35mins ! beat that sticking plastic :smiling3: Coat of primer on, now just had the first of the top coats. As I had no track treatment in stock I've had to use this method, would have preferred the former.
A few grab handles done and some lifting eyes made with wire and CA'd . Those track guards are going to be put on after the tracks as I can see now the guards will catch the top of the tracks, if I fitted those noe I don't imagine I'd ever get the tracks on.

2019.jpg
This stopped them from getting all over the place.2019_3.jpg
once all on the whole thing was tightened up and the bending of the tabs was done.
2019_4.jpg

This is for Bob and anyone who hasn't thought of using Easy Link
2019_9.jpg
tabs bent over.

2019_10.jpg
Ready for painting.

2019_11.jpg

2019_12.jpg

2019_13.jpg

2019_14.jpg

2019_15.jpg
Not bad for me ! at least they are partially better than the kits offering . :smiling2:

2019_16.jpg
Those track, second coat of Vallejo Air , brushed on !

I belong to the messy builders society,as well as the Untidy Bench Club, I can't help but get glue every where, or finger prints ! If I had any depth of field I might be better, but these days I just think a little sanding if required and some paint with weathering hides most of it.

Sitting here with the wind blowing down the chimney and its making the wood burner door and vent give gale like sounds, can always tell when the direction changes. Right off for some tea.
Thanks for looking in, any comments welcome.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks John, i cannot find a set of thoses tracks anywhere, after set oo1 but bugger all

By the way, lovely build sir!!

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice jig Mr Race. Helps keep everything straight. Nice update
Thanks Steve, as I had't any double sided tape thought I would use this, and it was helpful.

J

James Robert Noble

Superb John! Coming along very nicely mate. Nice trackage too! :thumb2:
Watching this unfold buddy!

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Superb John! Coming along very nicely mate. Nice trackage too! :thumb2:
Watching this unfold buddy!
Thanks James . All coming together .

Now for a few photos .
2019_9.jpg
Primmer on .

2019_8.jpg

2019_7.jpg2019_7.jpg

Just a spot to on the rear , going to spray some chipping fluid on Friday, so have let this dry fully since Thursday night.

Now to some figures and a few questions.
Liking Hornet head I've decided to use them as both the Mini-art and the Hobby boss kits were quite poor in detail on the faces.
I drilled out the heads after removing from the block and trimming the neck length. Keeping the drill in the center was a little hard.

2019_2.jpg
The drill was a 4mm , unfortunately I've damaged the jacket, suppose a little filler will repair this .

2019_3.jpg

The next one went better.

2019.jpg

I want a slight angle of the head, but again there is slight damage.
At this point I decided to drill out the base of the head and body for the next one and use wire, as Neil has been doing.

2019_10.jpg

2019_12.jpg

Sorry about the quality of these photos, I will have to fill the back of the neck but this method gave far less damage to the plastic.

Then the legs themselves had separate boots, no way was the plastic going to stick with such a bad meet, so drilled out and used the wire again .

2019_5.jpg

2019_4.jpg

After trimming the length , they were glued on.

2019_6.jpg
The head looks a little over size to me,might just be the angle.

My question is how would you fit Hornet heads?
Would you drill and with what size ? as some of the necks area lot thinner. or just wire as I have found works better for me.
Thanks .
John.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work all round John, very impressive.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
My question is how would you fit Hornet heads?
Would you drill and with what size ?
When using heads like this, I usually either drill out the torso or I cut off the neck on the head to match the torso. For the first, measure the neck diameter and take a drill that size — pre-drill with about a 1 mm drill first, though. For the second, cut it longer than you think it needs to be, check the angle and correct (using a knife) as necessary to get both angle and neck length right.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Mr R,
All good at Casa los Benson...actually looking forward to Christmas and 2 straight weeks off :smiling4:

Your certainly motoring your way through this lot....hadnt realised you where doing the whole dio thing :cool:
chap number 1 will look great after a bit of a tart up here and there. not sure about old melon head though.....looks a bit on the big side but not sure if it’s the camera angle?

Hooe you and Mrs R are well

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great work all round John, very impressive.

Andrew
Andrew cheers.
When using heads like this, I usually either drill out the torso or I cut off the neck on the head to match the torso. For the first, measure the neck diameter and take a drill that size — pre-drill with about a 1 mm drill first, though. For the second, cut it longer than you think it needs to be, check the angle and correct (using a knife) as necessary to get both angle and neck length right.
Thanks Jakko. Going to need some new drills with some half-sizes as well.:thumb2:
Evening Mr R,
All good at Casa los Benson...actually looking forward to Christmas and 2 straight weeks off :smiling4:

Your certainly motoring your way through this lot....hadnt realised you where doing the whole dio thing :cool:
chap number 1 will look great after a bit of a tart up here and there. not sure about old melon head though.....looks a bit on the big side but not sure if it’s the camera angle?

Hooe you and Mrs R are well
Hi Si, yes all good here, Mrs R's was in charge of tree decorations and all done.
Filler on standby, oh I though I had mentioned the dio. Its going to be a group of Russian Officers inspecting the StuG when it was taken for evaluation purposes.
Enjoy your two weeks off

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I don't know about Hornet heads. Maybe try Bee and Wasp instead.

Next time mate ask me a question on golf LOL

Great work on the figures mate. They are certainly looking the bees knees or hornet knees LOL Matron I need some more meds!!