Joseph Cyril Bamford's Classic Vintage 'Mean Machine'

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'm struggling to find any enthusiasm at the minute, so I'm trying to revive things a bit with this 'Quicky' build.

It's Dapol's OO/HO JCB 3. I know I've made this before on here, but amazingly I managed to flog that one, so what the heck.......

P1180921.JPG

The 'Box'
P1180917.JPG

...a few hours work gets you this. Brushed painted with Vallejo white primer.
P1180919.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Polux.
Just finished the first colour coat. Brush painted with Vallejo Model Colour yellow and Model Air for the red and black.

P1180922.JPG

Cheers Amigo...

Ron

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
ive always wanted to do one of these myself so be nice to see how one turns out

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I like it! You gonna put this on one of your magic dios or just a standalone?

I know we've said it before, but why oh why don't kit manufacturers do more construction stuff? It's not as if they're rarely seen, and you've only got to look at ebay to see how much diecast stuff there is around.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Cute Ron, love all sorts of tractors, you obviously got this one in just before the guillotine :smiling2:
Waiting for one of your fantastic dios soon, let's give that mojo a kick:thumb2:

Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys, and yes, it would be great to see all those diecast models available in plastic kit form. Whoever decided to make them would make a killing, that's for sure.

O.K., this morning I glued the thing together. I've scratch made some windows for the cab too....

P1180923.JPG

Ready for touching up, decals and weathering.

Cheers,
Ron

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looking good, but isn't your backhoe bucket the wrong way round?

Pete

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking good, but isn't your backhoe bucket the wrong way round?

Pete
SH**! Peter, you're dead right and considering I used to blag a play on these things, I should have spotted this daft error....

Thanks for drawing my attention to it. Promise you won't tell anyone else!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here for you delectation Ladies and Gents, is the backhoe in it's correct configuration. Luckily it was just snapped on so it 'works' - It will work even better now!

P1180925.JPG

I could delete the previous image, but I'm brave enough to take any stick that comes as a result of my 'Dropped Bol****'.......:tongue-out3:

Thanks again, Pete.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
OK. we'll keep it a secret. I used to supply them with proximity switches for the types with automatic bucket levelling. Most difficult customer I ever had to deal with, but fun to visit their offices - 50s Grand Prix cars in the foyer, old company 'planes hanging from the roof, indoor aviaries and sections of desert... They claimed to have an example of every scale model JCB ever made.

Pete

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Interesting feedback, thanks Pete.
....and thanks to you too Polux.

Nearly there.....

Decals on, then I just hit it all over with a wash of Dk. Brown acrylics, and let it run and gather where it liked......Then went to work with a pencil.

P1180932.JPG

P1180933.JPG

P1180934.JPG

Just a bit more to do before I place it on a base.
Cheers,
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
Polux - I'm going to cheat and use one of my few 'bases' that I saved from the recycle bin!

Joe - Don't know about expertise. I just give my models a good all over runny coat of whatever colour, and then let gravity do her work.
Sometimes I think some modellers mess about and fiddle too much with weathering, possibly leaving the model overworked. I prefer the simple approach.

Everyone to their own method though, eh?

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
My diddy digger is finished. Thanks for all your help, support and generally keeping an eye on the progress during this build.

I'll post up the finished model over on Civilian Vehicles 'Completed' - After I've taken the dog for a walk!

Cheers,
Ron