Ju87D-8 1/48 Revell

T

treyzx10r

I picked this old kit up for $10 thought it would be a fun quick build . I did the office up real basic no frills

then the basic structure, must say the fit is real good

dry fitted the major parts no issues

heres the part thats gotten tricky, how to deal with raised panel lines. I took head of all the great advice from the thread I posted about these and heres were I'm going.

I basically sanded them all off leaving just a ghost image for future reference,then I used an ultra fine sharpie to draw them back on

then a preshade and the canopy masking

The basic splinter is complete

this is going to be the Night intruder version so next will be a 'squiggle' pattern using rlm 79(not looking forward to it). I've heard that some of these had wood props anybody know for sure which was mounted on these birds?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Trey. I reckon that the D model had the VS-111 propeller blades fitted and these were indeed wooden. Earlier models had metal blades (from Junkers) which I can't remember the numbers on.

The wooden blades had a fabric bonded to the surface before finishing so no "silver" chips.

Cheers

Steve

Edit.

Here's a [piccy of a D from Peter Smith's "Luftwaffe Ju87 Dive Bomber Units 1942-1945"

Definitely a wooden prop on this one.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
T

treyzx10r

Thanks Steve yet again you come through with the goods,really appreciate the info!

M

m1ks

Looking nice, looks a better one than the revell 72nd i have sitting in the pile, very rough around the edges.

Know the colour scheme you mean, good luck with that :smiling3:

T

travellingman49

Looking good,i'll keep an eye on this one,i've just started building the Italeri 1`/48 version.

B

Bunkerbarge

I like the approach to the panel lines, one of the most effective methods I've seen in dealing with raised lines without the daunting task of rescribing.

Lovely job of the interior without adding expensive extra detail sets and it still looks very effective.

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Mike yes the squiggle was a nightmare ,I still see the lil buggers when I close my eyes lol

Cliff thanks, looking forward to seeing the Italeri version hows the kit look?

Thanks Richard ,I had to come up with an alternative to rescribing my skills are lacking in that aspect of the hobby.

Finished the rlm 79 next will be the continued squiggles into the rlm 65 with some rlm70

S

Sky Raider

Wow, Looking good Trey, i bet your eyes got knotted painting that pattern mate. It looks fantastic.

Andy

T

treyzx10r

Lost some of this thread and ca'nt remember all the lost bits, so thanks for the compliments those that gave 'em! I know that Steve and Ian asked about the finish ,it was hand painted with a hairy stick freehand. Painting a coat of Automotive urethane clear over the splinter gave a super smooth surface that allowed mistakes to be easily wiped off.I ca'nt do this with recessed panel lines as it fills in the details so the old raised lines in this kit were kind of a blessing in disguise for this scheme. I got the decals on and sealed with a spray of dullcoat next will be a good dose of weathering.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
O.M.G !!!! You have out done yourself there Trey!! My eyes are going nuts just looking at it, so I can only imagine how you had it painting the darn thing! Amazing!

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Ian ,I seem to have a knack for finding difficult paint schemes and canopies to tape do'nt I ?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
HI trey, i posted on this a few days ago but it got wiped with the glitch. Anyway , this is one seriously excellent paint job!!! It must have taken you ages,and given you double vision and a migraine!! Im glad you let us in on the technique as ive got a storch and a fw189 in 1/72 that i want to do in a similar scheme, although in a way im dreading it !!!LOL top work ,looking forward to seeing it finished , cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Tony yes you are soooo right my eyes were squirrely for days .Dave thanks for the kind words!

Wrapped up the Ju87 tonight! All things considered not a bad deal for a $10 no frill build,thanks again for all your kind words. Any critiques/comments always welcome!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Brilliant - I've gone cross-eyed just looking at it !! Effort like this can at least get 5 stars

Regards

Colin M.........

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolutely blown away by this one. The paint job is simply stunning and is airbrushing at the highest level. How you maintained patience is beyond me but what a superb effect. What realy makes it though is the weathering and the underside is amazing. I was looking last night at a few shots of Spitfires from underneath and was surprised at how dirty they could be. A well used Stuka would certainly be of a similar level and the weathering on this model is a lesson to us all.

Beautiful job, thanks for sharing it with us.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Brilliant,everyone is quite rightly commenting on that wonderful paint scheme and weathering but there's a well made model underneath it all. I've got a Bf110 nightfighter somewhere which would need doing with a similar technique,though different colours,and you've put me right off now LOL!

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Thanks for the great comments everyone ,really appreciate it! Jim,Colin thanks for the stars! Richard thanks I'm always worried about over doing it with the weathering,so easy to do. Steve thanks you're input was a big help as always ,looking forward to seeing the 110! Took some shots in better light today and touched up some errors.

The swastika seems a bit small to me now, it was left from another 1/48 kit as the Revell kit does'nt supply them,oh well I'll live with it.Thanks again