Ju88 Next on the line

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
After much agonising I am going to build this. I have put aside all thoughts of the Tamiya Spitfire as there are hundreds of them being built at the moment and I might as well wait for some more decal options to appear.This is the newish Revell kit which I hope will give me an easier ride than some of the other kits by this manufacturer have done.

This may be a long build because I think minor irritations, like earning a living, are going to intefere with the modelling.Due to the nature of my work there may be periods of frantic(!?!) activity interspersed with periods where absolutely nothing happens.

I hope everyone will enjoy it as much as I enjoy their efforts anyway.

Anyway to set the tone here is an appalling photograph of the kit in it's slightly disshevelled box (it's been in the loft)

I'm hoping to be off out the blocks tomorrow!

Cheers

Steve

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
Don't those Revell boxes suck? Looking forward to seeing the cockpit!

D

dubster72

I'll look forward to this one Steve, that very same kit is prominently displayed in the window of my local model shop & although I'm more into armour, it does shout "BUY ME BUY ME" everytime I walk by!

Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The first three pages of the instructions are for the cockpit interior! Revell took most of their data from the Ju88 being restored in Norway. A good link here:

JU88.net

Why do I keep seeing people building them with RLM02 interiors when this evidence is available? Even Revell got the colour call correct ( I think their "dust grey" is supposed to be RLM66,it's certainly not 02)

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
fantastic choice steve! This kits had some rave reviews ,im sure youll have no problems. Looking forward to seeing the build (especially as this kits on my wanted list!) cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Yeah! I got one of these in my stash waiting for me to work up the courage to start it, an' it looks beautiful in the box! I'm gonna be watching your build like a hawk.

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've made a sort of start. I've given everything a wash. First impressions are as per all the reviews. Excellent,crisply moulded,no short shots (which some have complained of) and little flash. Looks good so far but then I haven't applied the "Stona factor" yet!

It's also one of only two models I can think of that I couldn't fit all the sprues on the draining board. There's a lot of bits.

Here's a few more dreadfull photos to give you an idea. There is also a sprue of clear parts which I haven't opened yet. That too looks as good as the others.

I'm debating how to do all the cockpit detail.Rather than painting all the little bits to add I may construct the major elements,spray the whole lot in RLM66 and do most of the weathering and then pick out all the bits and bobs before final assembly. Obviously common sense applies and this might not work for everything (seats and instrument panel spring to mind) but It'll be the basis for this part of the build.

I've got a phone conference at 2pm so I'm off to stick some bits together!

Cheers

Steve

Piccies:

View attachment 20732

View attachment 20733

View attachment 20734

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That bit about doing whole sub assemblies in 66 ain't gonna work. Luckily,with the snow, it's a bit warmer so off to do some spraying Brrrrrr.

Steve

F

Fenlander

That must be a big model when it is done. Looks good though, will enjoy watching it take shape.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Quick update - no piccies worth showing but an explanation of why a lot get built with a lighter RLM02 (grey/green) interior. If you do the correct colour it's quite dark and despite the dozens of detail bits fitted, most get effectively lost.

Unfortunately that's how it was... fair use and all that.Definitely RLM66,original paint in Guttorm's picture.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 20744

cockpit0408-5.jpg

R

Richy C

Looks good Steve, keep us up to date - you know us lot on here love a photo.

Richy

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I will post my usual top quality(Eeeh?) pics chaps. When I get even part of the cockpit looking presentable I'll take some snaps. I did about 4/5 hours today and all I've got is one built and basically painted sidewall and a frame holding a partly painted bomb sight. There's a lot of bits!

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just in case you lot didn't believe I'd really started here's one of my top quality pics. It shows the radio wall,stbd side wall,bomb sight and pilot seat. None are quite finished but they are more finished then the other sub assemblies of which there are many.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 20754

IMG_1899.jpg

F

Fenlander

Looking very good. Is that airbrushed Steve? Great detail in the bits on the wall and that seat looks very real! Great work.

D

dubster72

Excellent work there Steve, I think this one is gonna take a while! That's a lot of bits to assemble even before you get to painting it!

Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It is a lot of little bits. Those units are mostly airbrushed,detailed with a fine brush,then dry brushed with a lighter shade of RLM66 and then drybrushd again with aluminium in some areas.The paint is basically Xtracrylix but there are all sorts on there. The photo rather washes out the effect and makes everything a bit light. Once I get all the bits ready to go into the fuselage I'm planning an oil wash to dirty some areas up a bit and tie it all together. This is gonna take a while! At the moment I'm spending several hours a day on it but work will soon prevent that.

Incidentally I have come across a few very minor problems with some parts. The worst has been on part of the assembly for the rudder pedals which have been badly formed. As they are not too visible I'm going to build the bits up into the correct shape and swallow the loss of detail.Most of it has scrubbed up well....so far.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
looks great steve, the cockpit seems very busy and well detailed, the seat will look fab with the etched belts on it , keep the pics coming ,cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Quick update,featuring a piccy that's even worse than my norm. I have been working on the beast! More sub assemblies and even a bit stuck into the fuselage. I reckon when all these bits get assembled the fuselage at least will suddenly make progress.

BTW Tony the belts will be by yours truly from scalpel blade foil (SWMBO has purchased wine recently which seems to have very stiff and thick foil. I drank several bottles just to be sure.) I am trying to stick to my OOB" rule" but I may see if I've got some instrument decals amongst my spares as there are none included.

Speaking of belts, in my very limited bomber references I have found pictures of the seats for all visible crew positions apart from the radio operator. I'm guessing just a lap belt but if anyone knows better let us know.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 20793

IMG_1900.jpg

D

dubster72

It's always nice to see someone so dedicated to their hobby-drinking wine!!

Patrick