Ju88 Next on the line

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
steve, from what pictures ive seen ,although the radio operator had a full size seat id agree with you on just the lap belt.In the pic ive seen you can only see the bottom corner of the seat and theres definitely a belt visible for the lap , if there was a shoulder belt too ,i doubt hed have been able to reach forward and operate the radio equipment.From what i could gather ,the beaufighter observers position was just a lap belt too, it was probably in keeping with the tradition of giving the back seaters a bum deal(!) as far as comfort goes- just look at the wire basket for stuka gunners and the luxurious leather strap stormovik gunners had to balance on!!! cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
i doubt hed have been able to reach forward and operate the radio equipment. tony
Thanks Tony,that was my logic too! I'm looking forward to the "anti cavorting chain" on Gladiator111's Swordfish.

Things haven't gone well today. Revell's instructions leave a bit to be desired and I've actually taken the bulkhead back out of the fuselage and decided to go in a different order. The way that Revell would have you do it you can't really "dry fit" the various bits until it is too late to do anything about it AND some of the sub assemblies locate or line up very vaguely. I don't think this is a particularly easy kit to build. It's got nothing to do with the number of parts but rather the way it has been engineered.Having said that it can be done and it's quite good to have a bit of a challenge.

I wouldn't want to put anyone off building it,it's great value for money,but they should be aware it's not a "shake 'n bake". Some of the reviewers were either being paid by Revell or were building a different kit!

Cheers

Steve (off to see if the next wine bottle has more suitable foil)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
steve , dont forget yoghurt pot lids too, often they have a slight texture to them as well as being a bit thinner than wine foil-not as much fun to acquire though!!!!! cheers tony:cheers:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Upper cabin has all the bits in,a bit of a touch up required. Trying to get tail wheel assembly done so that the fuselage halves can be joined. I'll do a proper update then.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 20844

IMG_1906.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Fuselage joined but needs a bit of fettling to be ready for a photo. I paint a dark colour on the inside of seams which colours the "ooze" on the outside to let me know that I've got a good seam. It doesn't look too clever before a clean up! No decals for instrument panel so I painted it as below.

Also started masking plexi-glass. If you don't like canopy masking you might not want to look at that photo!

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 20882

View attachment 20883

glass.jpg

panel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Where am I going to put this!!!!! I've got enough sub assemblies done to dry fit wings and tail assembly. This thing is big. The snap is with a P-47 which is a big model and a Bf109 which is about as small as 1/32 gets. The Ju88 is bigger than a 1/48 B-17.

Cripes

Steve

View attachment 20940

IMG_1918.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Only one option if the shelves arent big enough ,steve... im sure swmbo wont mind it hanging from the bedroom ceiling! tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Disaster....ish. Fuselage decided to go for test flight off my table. Broke and loosened a few fixable bits in cockpit including entire bomb aimers assembly. Also had an amazing bit of luck. It landed nose down on the front bubble/gondola which is largely clear parts. Normally I attach these with very strong watch crystal cement but because I couldn't find it I'd used the much weaker Clearfix. What a result! A bit like an F1 car, lots of bits came flying off but nothing broke so really I've just got to stick it all back together. It's cost me a few hours but could have been a LOT worse.

I'm sure this has happened to quite a few of us but I think I've got away with this one. The only bit I can't get back in is an oxygen bottle which I just can't reach and I'll live with that.

Cheers

Steve (looking on the brightside)

D

dubster72

It's never nice when that happens Steve-though I bet the look on our faces when we see that slow-motion slide off the table or workbench must be funny! to others! Glad the damage wasn't too bad. Patrick

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
wow!,could have been a major disaster if it had blitzed the clear nose parts steve, glad it didnt do too much damage. cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I absolutely have to go to work now so here is a quick snap of the beast with major components assembled. The tailplane is drying and you'll see a lack of any tape etc. The fit of the "big bits" is superb. That is an A3 cutting mat.

Laters

Steve

View attachment 21017

IMG_1923.jpg

D

dubster72

lol now that is a big kit! I think I fancy a go at that one!

Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
An update. I don't normally do bombers and as a result failed to mask the inside of the various plexiglass structures to paint the inside,which in retrospect would have been possible. I've applied the technique I use for my typically smaller fighter hoods.The first colour on the outside of the structure is the colour of the inside of the frames.It should be visible from the inside and hopefully fool the eye. I certainly hope so as there's b*gger all I can do about it now.

A little bit of filling and cleaning up and I'm hoping to get the beast primed later today.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 21042

View attachment 21043

IMG_1925canopy.jpg

IMG_1926gondola.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
And primed. Got to leave it a while now before a nice rub down (for the model,not me) and on to pre-shading. I don't always do this but I think I need to on a thing this size.

View attachment 21052

Primed.jpg

D

dubster72

Looking good Steve-it's always nice when a seemingly random collection of parts starts to look like a finished product!

Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Basic 70/71 over 65 camo is done.It needs a few touch ups and then I may do a bit of an overspray to blend it all together. I've got all afternoon tomorrow to muck about with it though I'd like the first coat of Klear on tomorrow evening......we'll see. I find the model tends to dictate times and that I just go along with it.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 21169

basic paint.jpg

D

dubster72

It looks good Steve though when you say an overspray, what colour will you use? I'm aware of using a light mist to 'tie-in' multi-colour camo on tanks so is this something similar? Thanks Patrick

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
looks great already steve , looking forward to the end result, cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
It looks good Steve though when you say an overspray, what colour will you use? I'm aware of using a light mist to 'tie-in' multi-colour camo on tanks so is this something similar? Thanks Patrick
I may give it a misting of yellow/green. At the moment there is quite a high contrast between the colours (I lightened them quite a bit) but after a few coats of Klear and some varnish that will diminish considerably. I've done this 70/71 scheme a few times and it's all a bit subjective. The contrast was so low on the real thing that a lot of B+W photos used to get interpreted as one colour,anyone who built the old 1/24 Airfix Stuka will have fallen for that one!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
All Klear. Nice and shiny,second coat this morning so hopefully decals tomorrow. I didn't apply any filter but notice how the contrast between the camo colours has reduced. The post shading which previously looked a bit overdone has also blended nicely.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 21215

View attachment 21216

88klear1.jpg

88klear2.jpg