JU88C-6 Dragon 1/48 scale

T

treyzx10r

I'm digging the warbirds so much had to order some more kits.I got the He177 Greif and this Ju88 kit.Since there is already a Greif under way here decided might as well do another nightfighter so here goes!

Basic kit looks nice, the outer surfaces look like they have been mildly bead blasted.

Standard procedure seems to always start in the cockpit,here are the bits before assembly

the instrument panel has nice raised details but needed a lot of trimming for it to fit properly(hope this is'nt going to be an ongoing occurance with this kit)

this is the first time I've delt with a segmented fuselage ,do'nt most kits just come in halves? Anyway should prove to be intresting.Got the cockpit segment ready just need to dullcoat the inside

S

sprayman

I will be watching this one,a great looking cockpit Trey.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Think i'm going to have to change my subjects. All these people building nightfighters well better then i can i just not on lol

L

Lancasterb1

I have a two or three in my stash I would like to get the detail as good as that:wish:, but these pictures are excellent, great detail on there Trey

Andy

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
My word he's off again! Nice work in the cockpit, are the instruments hand painted? If they are you have a steady hand and a good magnifier.

Allyne,when I get home next week I plan to start on an Me263B-1a/U1 which I know that you will recognise as yet another two seat NIGHTFIGHTER lol.

Cheers

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

We seem to be doing well for German twin engines aircraft recently. A superb Grief, a beautiful 110 and now an 88 as well. Spoilt we are, but worth it!

Lovely cockpit detail and that instrument panel looks fantastic. Another build I'm going to enjoy watching.

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Ray,Allyne, Andy,Steve and Richard. Steve I hand painted it and I do have a huge lighted magnifyer(a must for the fiddly moto bits) :smiling3:

The fit on this kit is not so good ,lots of gaps and the panel lines are'nt lining up. I had to do a lot of wet sanding so now I'll have to rescribe some of them and I'm not real checked out on that.

another gap to be taken care of .The opposite side is fine

at least the tail feathers went on easy

S

sprayman

By the sound of it the kit is giving you cause for concern Trey, but your build is still looking damn fine and it looks like your taking it all in your stride, top job.

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Paul much appreciated. Ray thanks its been a challenge especially since the Uhu kit fell together so nice.

More pics of the bad areas

filled in the bad gaps with MMD green putty

then sanded,sanded some more ,then sanded again ,then a final wet sand with 600 grit. After the feeling came back in my finger tips I masked and mounted the canopy

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Trey

That's some fine mottling - superb mastery of the airbrush. This will look awesome.

Cheers

Paul

T

treyzx10r

thanks Paul its been a lot of trial and error on scraps to get here ;)

Trey

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
First class pait work there!

Should be a winner when its done.

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Another one i missed. Fantastic work as usual Trey. Is that Squadren Green Filler i see there.

Andy

B

Bunkerbarge

That mottling looks fantastic and you wouldn't think there was so much filling involved with this model. Looking superb.

Just one thing that you may find interesting. When you mask a canopy like that it might be worth considering giving it a coat of the internal cockpit colour first. Then you do the normal paint job on the rest of the airframe and over the top of the canopy. When you remove the masks and look through the windows you will then see the cockpit interior colour on the insides of the frames as well. It actually looks very effective.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Lovely job Trey. You are getting too good at this Luftwaffe stuff.

Here's a challenge. A Ju88C-6 of 4./KG76. It's in standard 70/71/65 splinter camouflage with a winter white overcoat. The unit has painted a fake "bomber nose" onto the front of the fuselage to induce a frontal attack which would not go well for the attacker.

No mottling but a challenging scheme. It's one I've considered for another bash at Revells 1/32 kit but the extent of the conversion has left it on hold for now.

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

\ said:
That mottling looks fantastic and you wouldn't think there was so much filling involved with this model. Looking superb.Just one thing that you may find interesting. When you mask a canopy like that it might be worth considering giving it a coat of the internal cockpit colour first. Then you do the normal paint job on the rest of the airframe and over the top of the canopy. When you remove the masks and look through the windows you will then see the cockpit interior colour on the insides of the frames as well. It actually looks very effective.
You almost got me there Richard,by default the primer I used over the canopy is real close to the interioir color(every once in a while a stumble on to luck lol.Great tip ,duly noted for future builds thanks!!!

T

treyzx10r

thanks all for the kind words and yes thats Squadron green putty Andy good eye.Steve I actually stumbled across that fake bomber nose while researching this build,it was tempting me a bit . I'm thinking if I were to try that I would paint the nose the frame color and then use 3m fine line mask to tape it off.