July-Dec 2016 SIG: The Mig 21-Chat Thread.

P

Polux

Yep!!

No comments about it :smiling3:

You have six months to build one of the many versions that this classic plane has.

Free scale and markings.

Anyway, for questions or doubts, use this thread please.

Polux

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I have to say that the take up for this SIG has been really pleasing with the majority of participants choosing the Eduard 1/48 kit as their contribution. Perhaps of all of the SIG's that I have taken part in, this one has fulfilled the the brief when we consider that part of the aim is to share knowledge and experience (pain).
There is still time to join in...Eduard kits not obligatory!

First Name
Neil
What do you folks use for weighting and where do you put it? I have an incomplete A10 that I tried weighting with plasticine but it has two problems - too far back and not heavy enough. I'm pretty sure I can find a stash of little nuts, washers that kind of thing in my garage.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I used lead curtain weights, I know other people who use fishing weights, aquarium plant weights and lead flashing for roofs. I did look at the last option but the smallest roll I could buy was €25 and would probably have lasted everyone on this site for life.  If you know a roofer for offcuts or a plumber who is ripping out old lead water pipes that could be a good source.

As to where, as far forward as possible and not be visible.

Nuts and washers glued into the nose may provide enough weight, but I am not familiar with the kit.

The other option if the aircraft is going on a base is to fix the nose wheel to the base. 

First Name
Neil
Sorry I should have been more specific, I meant on the Mig21 specifically as the nose cone does not look very big. How much weight did you use Dave? I know I have a load of crap - sorry, things that may be useful one day - in my various tool boxes. I will be vindicated if I can use something with SWMBO as I can say "see, I told you this piece of xxx " would be useful one day, and so the rest might too!" I may say this in the garage when she can't hear me of course, but I'll know it's been said!

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I filled the nose cone to the brim and superglued it in, the weights are quite small once taken off the thread so it was fairly tightly packed.  Judging from the balance point on the glued up fuselage I think it is sufficient.

First Name
Neil
Anyone doing theirs with airbrakes open? I guess that realistically they would not have airbrakes open on the ground. I was thinking of maybe using a stand with the plane just landing but then I need a pilot. 

Alternatively just no airbrakes and on the ground :smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Anyone doing theirs with airbrakes open? I guess that realistically they would not have airbrakes open on the ground. I was thinking of maybe using a stand with the plane just landing but then I need a pilot. 

Alternatively just no airbrakes and on the ground :smiling3:

I'm doing mine gear down and air brakes closed. I couldn't be bothered cutting out the apertures for them.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
This GB is just over half way and it's great to see everyone's progress. There is still time for any late comers to join in, you would be most welcome. For those of us who are stalled (real life and other builds can turn your head) stick with it, maybe if you see the hurdles that your friends here (and most seem to be building Eduard 1/48 Mig-21's) are overcoming you will feel reinvigorated to get back on it.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
It's a little late in the day I know and Christmas is approaching so we are all busy but I thought I'd ask how everyone is getting on with their builds - so how is everyone getting on with their Mig-21's? I just have to fit the sticky out bits.

D

dubster72

I lost mine! After having a tidy, I stuck it all into a box & forgot all about it... Doh!

But just yesterday I found it again, so it's back on the workbench.. might be done by Christmas ;)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Mines in the process of decalling then its on with the last fiddly bits. This last stage has taken ages as ive not had any time lately but hopefully it should be done this week cheers tony