Junior's modroc hand 'sculpture'

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

Hope you are all staying safe during the current crisis. This is something Junior wanted to share with you.

So his sister aka Junioress needed some modroc - a modelling Plaster of Paris bandage - for her art homework, so we ordered for some. She though had far more than she needed - total length of the four rolls was 11m (by 15cm).

Junior decided he'd like to have a go with making something and came up with the idea of filling a latex glove with sand to make a substructure, cover it with vaseline as a lubricant, build a modroc hand around the glove, when complete release the sand, remove the glove and voila!

It's really easy, if a bit messy, to use. Simply cut the bandage into to strips of the desired width, dip in water for a few seconds, wring out the excess water, apply to the substructure ad repeat the process building up the layers

I'd not heard of it before but having seen some of the things online people have done it's really versatile and I can think of some uses for my wargaming scenery.

So far most parts have had at least 2-3 layers. Six is the recommended amount for the sake of strength. You'll also see it's a bit rough. The substructure was not the most rigid s it was not the easiest to work with but that's fine. Now we have the first couple of layers down we can take more care in smoothing it about as we apply more layers.

ATB and ACW as usual

Andrew

PS I know it's probably not a sculpture in the strictest sense but didn't know what to call it. Please advise if you know.

49820711167_5a38b38d44_b.jpg

49820402591_6c4f051f9b_b.jpg

49820403046_8bf3bf6f6d_b.jpg

49820403211_0e11816bc8_b.jpg

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Well that's different. I will be interested so how this turns out.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's something different what is the plan for the hand when it's made.

Hi Paul

To be honest not sure. Junior has already had discussions with my wife about flicking paint at it in some kind of abstract representation but that may of course change! She also suggested we should mount it on some sort of stand in an upright position, so I'm thinking of ways on how to make that work, without breaking the hand.

Thanks for stopping by.

Andrew

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul

To be honest not sure. Junior has already had discussions with my wife about flicking paint at it in some kind of abstract representation but that may of course change! She also suggested we should mount it on some sort of stand in an upright position, so I'm thinking of ways on how to make that work, without breaking the hand.

Thanks for stopping by.

Andrew
Could be a good idea then the wife could keep her rings on it when she takes them off.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Could be a good idea then the wife could keep her rings on it when she takes them off.
Hi Paul

Will definitely NOT be suggesting that. Those fingers are fatter than mine, let alone hers. I can only imagine the reaction if I suggested it!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice idea. I think Mod Roc was a standard railway modelling scenery basic material way back when.....I think it’s based on hospital plaster bandage.....
Could the sculpture be used to hold key rings on?

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice idea. I think Mod Roc was a standard railway modelling scenery basic material way back when.....I think it’s based on hospital plaster bandage.....
Could the sculpture be used to hold key rings on?
Tim

Thanks for the background info. I can certainly see how it would be useful for that sort of thing and I'll certainly give it a crack with our bits of wargaming terrain

Key rings are out too. The fingers are that fat!

ATB

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
How 'bout you use it when ever you need a "hand" doing something.......you know, "give me a hand":tongue-out3::tongue-out2::tongue-out::thumb2:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So the hand is now finished. We got put onto a much better and cleaner technique by someone.

Put the dry modroc on the piece and 'paint' it with water, smoothing it out as you go. You get a much better and smoother finish (not too mention soooooooooo much cleaner!!). The sand came out fine and we even managed to get the glove out with a bit of tugging!

Up next some paint but in what form is still under discussion!

ATB

Andrew