just a quickie.

P

ping-pong

Hi All,

When using Klear, do you a klear coat then decal then a klear coat or decal then a klear coat. hope this is understandable and isnt a really stupid question.

Cheers

Si :smiling3:

A

andygh

Not stupid at all

It depends what the surface is like, if it's already glossy you can apply the decals straight on to it and then seal them with Klear. If the surface is a bit matt a coat or two of Klear goes on first. The idea is to make the surface as smooth as possible to prevent silvering under the decals

P

ping-pong

ah ok. that makes sense. i have already been doing a klear coat and the decaling then klear again. had a little silvering problem on my junkers. so the thing to do and see is that the body is nice and smooth. to a point anyway, is that right?

thanks for the help Andy.

Cheers

Si:smiling3:

A

andygh

Yes, as smooth as you can get it

In fact, when I'm decaling flatish surfaces I put the decal onto wet Klear, it completely solves the air bubble problem

T

tecdes

Hey Andy that is clever. Does the Klear stay wet enough to enable you to position correctly ? Think this is a daft question otherwise you would not go this route.

Suppose what I mean is do you thin the Klear to keep a wet surfece ?

Laurie.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think if you put water in klear you will make it thicker! lol

Good trick with the decals onto wet klear, I will have to try that one day.

When I am putting decals on to a flat area, I have also found it helps a lot to give the receiving surface a quick rum over with a polishing cloth before the clear coat. You can often get away with just one thin coat of clear after a rub down. And we all know less is good.

Ian M