just about to use airbrush for the first time confused about cleaning regime

P

premacy10

Hi all

just about to use airbrush for the first time confused about cleaning regime, I have got Iwata airbrush cleaner to use between and after paint changes, there is a mention about flushing water through it . excuse the ignorance but do you pour that through the paint holder just like paint.Would you kind people please advise .

DOES ANYONE HAVE A LINK FOR A PICTORAL DEMONSTRATION ON HOW TO DO A FULL STRIP DOWN CLEAN.

Regards

Antony

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Yes. For a quick clean or between colours run airbrush cleaner followed by water through the brush just like you would paint until the resulting spray is clear. I assume you are using acrylic water soluble paints. Give the airbrush a "backflush" By holding a cloth or tissue over the business end and shooting some cleaner. You will notice that the air/cleaner bubbles up back in the paint cup. This really helps to clean out the paint track and nozzle.

For a deeper clean,which I do at the end of a project,you will need to dis-assemble the airbrush.

One last tip,when you are not using the brush between painting sessions,withdraw the needle slightly so that it is not snug in the nozzle. This means it can't glue itself in on any residue that your quick clean didn't shift.

Cheers

Steve