Just arrived

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Sorry I have not commented before. I saw the thread title and didn't realise it include your build.
ICM figures are very nice. I have used a couple and been impressed. Your painting has certainly brought out the best in them. Heading to be a really nice dio/vignette.
Jim

D

Dave S4

Thanks Jim.
Yes I'm lazy and just started posting progress photos here.
And things are moving again!
Had to do this standing up, and my repaired hernia is yelling at me, but the ground work is done, as far as making it goes.
Next step is to paint it all once dry.
"The Long, Long Way..."
(Sebastian Barry - very good book)

Attachments

• 20180915_142236.jpg
    20180915_142236.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 7
D

Dave S4

First coat of matt varnish applied to ground work today. Accessories fixed into place.
Another coat to follow, then paint. That'll be a long job, with a lot of care not to splash the figures with brown, grey, dust etc.

D

Dave S4

Progress pics.
I'm almost tempted to just wash and highlight the ground work as the colours look alright post-varnish.
Hmmm....

Attachments

• 20180916_160917.jpg
    20180916_160917.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20180916_160802.jpg
    20180916_160802.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 7
D

Dave S4

Have gone ahead with just washing the ground work. Several coats are going to be needed, followed by highlights, but this gives a more textured finish than a uniform colour painted all over it.
And the wire needs painting. As do the can and broken bottle.
Lots to do, but it's fun and that's what counts.

Attachments

• 20180919_134155_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    20180919_134155_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20180919_134124_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    20180919_134124_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dave S4

Another wash (#2). It may need a third.
The few accessories I could add are now painted and being weathered.
Lots of little jobs to do

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
The washes seem to be working very well. Paint would have given a uniform look which would have needed work whereas the washes appear more natural - just longer to build up the effect. You have a little stunner in the making.
Jim

D

Dave S4

Thanks Jim.
It's a great project to work on.
Am thinking of next summer's sequel, which will be two riflemen in a more dramatic pose. Need to get more ground work and accessories included.
Maybe a German MG, with other bits and pieces. Not sure yet, but will be looking for additional things to put in
Happy Friday!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Awesome Dave. The ground work is wonderful. Nearly there now:thumb2:

D

Dave S4

Thanks Steve
I varnished the barbed wire a couple of times yesterday, then washed it, and am now matt varnishing it again today to prep for dry brushing with gun metal. Hopefully that will suffice.
Experimentation has been a feature this time as it's easy to paint first then regret later after it ends up looking flat and boring. By trying washes and stains, you get to test something different, but still have the option of painting the base anyway if it doesn't work out.
Which it seems to be doing.
Grand.
Happy Saturday!

D

Dave S4

...And another coat of matt varnish goes on to the barbed wire.
It's starting to look right.

D

Dave S4

(Between painting sessions: worked my way through "Fury" again. An excellent film. Brad Pitt acts his socks off, along with a superb cast and the best war film script and plot I've seen. Just fantastic.)

D

Dave S4

Right, that's the last coat of matt varnish in place. Next job is to highlight the wire. And add cleats to No2's left boot.
Now for some more fresh air. .. :smiling:

D

Dave S4

Finished!!
Photos to follow in a separate thread.
Wow... this project has been a long one and has covered a pretty traumatic period.
Modelling can be a refuge as well as a hobby.
Pics when I can (perhaps tomorrow, but I'll try later and see what the light is like.
Cheers

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Its been a joy watch these figures come together. I will pop over and see the finished work:thumb2: