just dave's Revell 1/48 P51 Mustang MkIII

J

just dave

Please be gentle. This was my first build after a long period away from scale models and so it is very rough. I used this just to get my eye back in and see whether I would still enjoy it and tried some techniques & products I had previously never used.

It is entirely brush painted using unthinned enamels, some gaps are filled with putty and some decals applied with decal soft.

I have since completed 3 other models, all 1/72 and my current build is a mahoosive 1/24 Bell UH-1 Huey. Once that is completed I will post pics with a comparison to this P51..2016-03-09 10.38.14.jpg

2016-03-09 10.41.14.jpg

2016-03-09 10.42.08.jpg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi Dave

This is very good to say it's your first after a break.

Painting with brush and keeping lines off the panels ( brush strokes ) can be hard but this is a cracking example.

A little weathering around the exhausts would look good IMHO and a light dry brush over the undersides for a little grime look in the recesses but other than that it's a very nice looking model.

( hope I'm not too harsh )

Regards

Robert

J

just dave

Thank you for your kind words Robert!

I tried a bit of weathering in some areas but I wasn't entirely happy with it so I didn't do too much, I would have liked to create a sootted affect around the exhausts. Can you explain what you mean by "dry brush"?

D

Deleted member 4539

Well I think you have done a good job for being a long time away from modelling:smiling3:.

I see what you mean about being a bit rough,this does not matter too much at this point in time.

To get straighter edges maybe you could use masking tape.

Anyway whatever you do the main thing is to enjoy what you do:smiling3:.

Well done and keep up the good work.

J

just dave

Thanks.

I did use a normal household masking tape for the invasion stripes but I got quite a lot of bleeding. I have since bought proper tape.. lol As they say, every day is a school day :smiling:

A

american

Well done! Don't worry you are not the only one using the brush. In fact I am doing only brush painting.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Nice looking mustang I am a brusher to so I think you have done an excellent job well done

First Name
Adrian
Its a great build for your return to the modelling world, as for straight invasion lines many would have been painted free hand in the field and so would not have been the perfect straight edge we see with decals. I often break up my edges as they are too perfect!

Looking forward to seeing more of your builds in the future.

Adrian

L

Louis Beckerson

i do brush painting as well, always wanted to do a Mustang, great model really nice detail

J

just dave

Thanks Doug, yeah I did. I'm trying out new techniques all the time and have just about finished my first spray job. Stay tuned for pics :smiling:

D

demon

Very nice I built the same kit a year ago it's the old icm kit reboxed by revell perhaps it's just me but I had a hell of a struggle fit wise and lots of filler all I can say is if you can turn out this what will you do to a good kit like tamiya mustang

Roger

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Thanks.
I did use a normal household masking tape for the invasion stripes but I got quite a lot of bleeding. I have since bought proper tape.. lol As they say, every day is a school day :smiling3:
Great attitude Dave. Learn from every build, strive to be better each time. Don't feel down if you sometimes take a step back, we all do. But the most important thing is to get pleasure from doing it.

You have made a great comeback with this Mustang and I look forward to watching you progress.