Keeping spare bits.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Local pound shop were doing storage boxes.....bought 5....one for planes, cars, bikes, military and odds & ends....stack in a corner out of the way....spare bit's getputin right box when i kit gets finished.........have a folder with wallets in for spare decals

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Anyone else keep either a front or the end of the box, I put the date on when finished, also keep the distruction sheets with the same information on ?

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Anyone else keep either a front or the end of the box, I put the date on when finished, also keep the distruction sheets with the same information on ?
I used to keep destructions but stopped doing it once it got pointless....quite easy to find instructions online nowadays...... I have got all the unused decals from every kit I’ve built....rarely comes in useful like most of the things I keep :smiling5:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I cut out and keep just the box tops just for remembrance. Being flat is much more easier to store.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have a bunch of box fronts on the wall of my hobby room, that I put up there a looong time ago when I was mainly building Vietnam War models. I still have at least one copy of the instruction sheets of all kits I’ve ever built, only throwing away ones I know I already have in the pile. Unfortunately, the magazine rack I’ve been using for that is overflowing. And I’ve also got two plastic ice cream boxes with unused decals, one for military vehicles and one for everything else (which means it’s mostly aircraft).

• Love
Reactions: JR

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I keep instructions or box end or bag tab that shows what & where in case I need to reorder or refer to how built. A couple binders full. PaulE

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
You can tell the Nerds ! I love being one. MInd it does rely on having the room in the cave to do it.

View attachment 401497
View attachment 401498
View attachment 401499
Will eventually run out of room, them a bit of a clear out.:smiling3:.
Neils labelling is very neat !
John

Not only a fellow pyromaniac straight from my own heart but a fellow pendant too!!! I think I've died and gone to heaven!!!

ATB

Andrew

Ps. Damn autocorrect..... Correct message now in place

Last edited:
  • Love

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I think being a 'pad brat' has made me more able to give up stuff, until 12 years ago the longest I ever lived in one place was about 30 months. Moving so often sort of enforces clearouts.

• Sad

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
John,
I do that with the distruction sheets and sometimes with the printed lids, if they contain useful infos like Tamiya's, like Jakko and Richard; I usually paint the building year and the monogram with my initials inside the model.
I still have lids and sheets of models I built in my 'teens and occasionally I like to go through them.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks all, nice to know I'm not alone.:nerd:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Since I was taking photos to show my stash just now, I thought I’d also take one of my main spares boxes:

B6FC1740-23DA-498E-960A-2E1A2E9E1A25.jpeg

These sit underneath my work surface. Let’s start n the left:
  • At the top is the plastic box with compartments I mentioned earlier.
  • Below that is an Airfix box with 1:72 scale plane parts.
  • The next two gold some older stuff (the Fujimi deck crew set is actually stash, as it contains the remains of that only)
  • The Warhammer 40K box is full of 1:72 and 1:72 military vehicle parts.
  • The M26A1 box is nearly full of M113 spares.
  • The box marked YPR-765 delen (“YPR-765 parts”, because I once started building one based on an M113) actually contains old plastic figures, many of them painted, as does the M48A3 box.
  • Everything below that is very old stuff, 30 years and more, mostly just what was left in the box after I built those kits. Not sure why I’m keeping them, other than they keep the top boxes at a good height so I can reach them (there is normally stuff in front of the left pile so I can’t take things out that way).
The right-most pile is the one that I need more often, and contains only 1:35 scale spares:
  • The two Sherman boxes contain Sherman suspension parts and tracks (Asuka) and all other Sherman spares (Italeri).
  • The greenish M60A1 RISE PASSIVE (by Gunze-Sangyo) is everything that doesn’t go in another box.
  • The AFV Club Scimitar box is full of miscellaneous wheels and tracks, which don’t belong in any other box.
  • The Tamiya M60A1 box contains M26/M46/M47/M48/M60 parts, except wheels and tracks.
  • The M60A3 TTS box also has miscellaneous wheels and tracks.

First Name
Noel
Compartmentalised storage is by far the best way to go. If you just throw everything into one box you will spend more time searching than modelling. Been there, got the T shirt so to speak.
Regarding storage of car and truck kit vinyl tyres. Do not store thrown in with Polystyrene parts. If left for a long time there will be a chemical reaction between the two plastics, ruining both!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Other than having a great time searching through my spares and stash boxes, the down side is blacken fingers from years of dust. Also spider webs...a bit like searching for treasure in a vault or cave.
In the tropics I'm usually drenched in sweat after the adventure. Do you all experience that sort of thing?

Cheers,
Richard