Kens Batmobile

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
oh I was going to say a nice start, maybe the under coat had not set, or maybe by the look some water droplets, ?

how long has it been standing ,and it may just settle down, :confused:

D

Deleted member 3568

Not sure what to try now moni, don't know whether to sand it down and try again or strip it all off with oven cleaner.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I think if your lefted it for a few hrs and it has not settled maybe have to strip it down,

maybe someone else will see and have more help, as im not that good with AB, and when things go sideways ,:confused:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Ken it looks like the Orange peel effect with the paint. It is caused by many things, temperature, too week a mix wrong setting with the air with the air brush. It can be sanded out with fine sand paper then re- sprayed but by the look of yours with all the corners and edges it may be better to just strip it all back and start again.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi papa yes I am pretty much resigned to the fact the only problem is I think it has etched itself into the plastic as the paint layer is not that thick.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That's a shame Ken, but this is going to be a great build.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Yes, that is looking nice and smooth now Ken.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks much better Ken you be be happy with that ,turned out well, ;)

D

Deleted member 3568

Sorry but after stripping the paint as it's drying its starting to look the same I think it's a problem with the plastic I am to say the least. Pi'; :/ may have to scrap this one. I have heard emulsion acts as a barrier coat I may try that after that the only place its headed is the bin, no good even for the scrap drawer.

D

Deleted member 3568

Ok all I know its been a long time since I updated this but its not been forgotten I have tried mr muscle, modelstrip and even nitromors

and this is what ive got.

View attachment 90533

View attachment 90534

View attachment 90535

View attachment 90536

View attachment 90537

I've spent half the cost of the model on stuff to get the paint off. It doesn't show on the pics but there seem to be little holes in the paint that go right into the plastic, I think the paint has bonded with the plastic and actually soaked into it, which is why it wont come off so I think my only option is to sand it and try spraying it again I will just have to live with whatever the results are. its a shame as I was really looking forward to this one.

IMAG2440.jpg

IMAG2441.jpg

IMAG2442.jpg

IMAG2443.jpg

IMAG2444.jpg

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
oh no ,from the other pic,s it looked find what a shame, :confused:

sorry im no help at all i only know how to do dull coats not nice shiney ones,

hope you get it sorted,:rolleyes:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks to be a good base, ;)

D

Deleted member 3568

The original paint was halfords grey primer that's what seemed to do the damage i am using grey enamel primer now.

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
The original paint was halfords grey primer that's what seemed to do the damage i am using grey enamel primer now.
I'm surprised as I use Halfords Acrylic grey & Red Oxide primer, and haven't experienced this problem.

Do you use it out of the can, or decant for airbrush use?

Looking at the first photo's (blown up) I think what you may have is silicone contamination.

Did you wash/clean the plastic first. Or had a polish or similar product been sprayed anywhere in the vicinity of your modelling area.

Any sort of product (containing silicone) can cause the fish-eyes that seem to be in the finish on the first pics.

Gregg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 3568

I decant and spray with my ab, but you may be onto something there my daughter was cleaning her bike when I did that original spray job, she was doing it in the outhouse (where I model) and all her cleaning products come in spraycans, I wonder?