Kerploosh! An attempt at a 1/72 'Splash'

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The thread by Steven (Dulux) about creating explosions and the like, set me off (see wot I rote there!)

I needed a break from scribing yet more bricks for my houses thingy, so this morning I sat down and had a go at modelling a Hurricane hitting the sea.
I've tried to model the aircraft breaking up on impact, just before it vanishes in spray.

I used toilet roll, cushion stuffing and a bit of silicone.

Bearing in mind it's my first attempt at such things, any thoughts? As long as they are physically possible and don't hurt, I'll take note.....:fearful:

P1320006 (3).JPG

P1320007 (2).JPG

P1320010 (2).JPG

P1320012 (2).JPG

P1320013 (2).JPG

Cheers.
Ron

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Can't wait to see your second attempt Ron fantastic captures that split second in time perfectly well done that man. Not that it demeans your modeling skills in anyway but you also know how to handle a camera. Once again great stuff thanks for sharing. Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The effect looks convincing Ron. The water surface in particular is excellent. The only thing a little jarring is the water plume behind the plane in pictures 2 and 4. If the plane was travelling forward then the water displacement, and thus the splash, would be to the front. As it is it looks a little like the plane hit the sea going backwards :thumb2:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cracking work Ron,
For the splashes I've seen on youtube that some people use something like scenic water on the cotton wool so it doesn't look too stringy. But I've never done it myself.
Seeing this though it looks like something I will try at some point. Once again cracking work.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps for the positive, humorous suggestions and comments.
Just what critique corner is all about. No nit picking, just good, honest observations. Thank you.

Good point Tim, but having been fluttering down, spinning and generally doing things it shouldn't from a few thousand feet up, who's to say an aircraft always hits Terra Firma or water going forwards .... ;)

Ian. you know me, if it ain't up my drive or in the kitchen, it doesn't get a look in. Heaven forbid I have to buy summat! ;)

I'll have a further 'Play' later......

Thanks again.

Ed. Forst.

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Is the wispy stuff spray or smoke? If smoke looks good. If spray it's a bit curly...
The actual impact looks good. Can't really imagine how to do it, but you are the king of water dio' so you will guarantee make it work even better in take 2

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's very good indeed, especially for your first attempt.

ATB.

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the feedback boys... :thumb2:

I had a second go last night.
I added a bit of colour to the stuff and squose it together to try and make it less curly. I also added a bit more silly cone to the base.

Wadda yer think, better or worse?

P1320026.JPG

P1320027.JPG

P1320028.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Think in the photos, esp the last one where the water effect really shows ,you have captured it perfectly 570.
Great hurling skills by the current Mrs Ron.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Both attempts are first class Ron :smiling3:
Personally,(and probably this will be proved later to be against the tide!),I actually prefer the look of the first effort, ;)
Top,top stuff as ever Sir!
Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
They are both good but there is something extra in the second one that does it for me.
Not as wispy maybe? maybe the bit of colour has added some depth... The extra silly cones on the surface give is a nice touch as well.
Nice one Ron.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL 570 im sorry to say worst as i really liked your first effort that was really good in my opinion but brillint modeling all the same very well done Sir 570
chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks again for the input chaps. All carefully noted and being acted on.

I'm resisting the temptation to have a look on 'tinternet, so please no images of this sort of thing. I want to try and sort it myself - or at least do my best. Along with help from you good people, of course. :thumb2:

I'm glad some prefer the first effort, as so do I! To me, the spray looks better and somehow more 'Sprayee' than the last go.

Seems the jury is well and truly out. - And I'm stuck in the middle. All good fun, eh?

I have one more different approach up my sleeve. Then perhaps try and combine elements of all three.....It's no wonder I get a nose bleed!

Ron