Kerr Stuart No 4415 build.

K

kintosh

Hi all one for the railway modellers Narrow gauge though. Living in Stoke-on-Trent I have always been interested in Kerr Stuart the factory was only down the road from me but was long gone before I was aware of it. Having built a steam loco I needed a diesel  to help with shunting duties. It will have to be self powered radio controlled and sound like the real thing. So the intention is to build the 1928 Diesel No 4415. The original logo still exists and is presently being restored at Boston Lodge on the Festiniog railway. The original was powered by a Maclaren 60 hp diesel driving a Jack shaft then chain drive to the three axles. Some say not a pretty Loco but I love the brutality of it. First installment to follow shortly. I hope this will be of interest.
Bob

kerr_stuart.jpg

K

kintosh

Ok first drawing of the chassis assembly the components will be 3D printed. As I am now building three, two for friends the prototype will be in brown and the two production ones in black. The large centre section will house the speaker, battery pack, sound unit, rx, and r/c switch. The motor mount can be seen at the front. The speed controller will be housed under the rear floor x member. I don’t suppose this will make much sense at the moment but it will soon (I hope).
Bob

ft.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very strange looking little thing, O.o

so are you doing all the design work as well for this with some think like chad ?

will be interesting to see it all work out,

K

kintosh

Hi Monica yes all the design and printing. I only intend to print out the chassis components the body it's self will be from plasticard. I use 123D design for the drawings it is a free download then Cura to split it for printing another free download this will produce files (.stl ) that can be sent to a third party for printing. The printer has been working all day I might have a picture tomorrow of a set of components. Thanks for your interest.

Bob

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
will look forward to seeing all this work out,ta for explaining your how,your doing it as well, :D

First Name
Gwyn
What a fantastic project, I look forward to seeing further progress. 

K

kintosh

As promised a complete set of printed parts. The prototype / test chassis is nearly assembled ready for track test. I have included a screen shot of the 3D bonnet assembly never to be printed until the surface finish can be vastly improved, a useful exercise though it would take a little over 12 hrs to print with my present technology using 57 pence worth of PLA..
Thanks for looking Bob

IMG_1890.jpg

Bonnet.jpg

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
interesting update,will wait to see the fit of the parts, 9_9

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Dead cool! B|

K

kintosh

Tested the prototype chassis today all ran well once all the tension of the chains was sorted. The motor is one I had in stock and is a little oversize but will be OK. Hope its starting to make a little more sense now.
Bob

DSCF1238.jpg

DSCF1239.jpg

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice progress with this,looks a little complicated with the chains,and excels, :D

Last edited by a moderator:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice work,real dose look good,taking shape very nicely, :D

what did you use for the rivets,?

K

kintosh

Monica thank you for your kind comment. You can hopefully see in the picture where the rivet heads come from bit of a fiddle to stick on using a pin and some liquid poly.

Bob

IMG_1922.jpg

D

Deleted member 4539

"Hope it's of Interest".

Yes it certainly is to me.

You're doing some great work on this and I'm looking forward to more. :smiling3: