KH400 in the post

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi all
I'm Paul, from Kendal in Cumbria.
I'm a generalist modeller, I make all sorts of different stuff, but haven't done any plastic modelling for many decades.
So I'm about to get back into building plastic model motorcycles, having discovered I might be able to reproduce the best bike I ever had - a purple Kawasaki KH400-A4.
The revelation for me was a YouTube account in the name Kota Scale Model, with a great clip about spoking wheels to improve on out-of-the-box moulded ones:
(If you're a motorcycle modeller, his other videos are great, too.)
Once the Hasegawa kit arrives, I'll start a thread in the appropriate section on here.
In the meantime, here are some of my lockdown models, mainly card...
20200519_232846.jpg
?hash=90320a36eec26e97a2bbe683eb59e4fd.jpg
20210309_120926.jpg

...and a balsa and tissue plane...
20200623_121608.jpg

Attachments

• 20200505_153814.jpg
    20200505_153814.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 2

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi all
I'm Paul, from Kendal in Cumbria.
I'm a generalist modeller, I make all sorts of different stuff, but haven't done any plastic modelling for many decades.
So I'm about to get back into building plastic model motorcycles, having discovered I might be able to reproduce the best bike I ever had - a purple Kawasaki KH400-A4.
The revelation for me was a YouTube account in the name Kota Scale Model, with a great clip about spoking wheels to improve on out-of-the-box moulded ones:
(If you're a motorcycle modeller, his other videos are great, too.)
Once the Hasegawa kit arrives, I'll start a thread in the appropriate section on here.
In the meantime, here are some of my lockdown models, mainly card...
View attachment 428983
View attachment 428988
View attachment 428985

...and a balsa and tissue plane...
View attachment 428986
Welcome Paul!
Some very nice work there, I'm sure you'll enjoy this site!
Steve

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Paul,
Welcome to the site,I'm sure you'll find it interesting and a bit of fun too ;)
Some lovely looking models there,I particularly like the Bofors :smiling3:
Andy

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome aboard Paul. Like what you've done so far.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

ATB.

Andrew

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul,
Welcome to the site,I'm sure you'll find it interesting and a bit of fun too ;)
Some lovely looking models there,I particularly like the Bofors :smiling3:
Andy
I built it because my dad was in charge of (and I use the term loosely) a Bofors gun during WWII. There's a story attached...
Although he was mechanically totally incompetent, Dad was a stickler for order. He expected his squad to be correctly attired and his Bofors gun to be sparkling clean. Down the road was another ack-ack, manned by Canadians, who my dad thought were irretrievably slovenly.
They were based in SW England, and only once had an enemy aircraft to shoot at. As luck would have it, when dad's battery rushed out (in smart uniforms) to have a potshot, their Bofors gun jammed.
The Canadian lot sauntered out in dressing gowns and promptly shot the plane down!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Paul
Welcome to the site. The card models look excellent. I especially like your 28s. They are really nice, and it’s great to see them en mass like that. I assume they are the CMON plastic range? Love the wolly mammoths!

How do they actually rank up against other 28s? I’m currently putting together Oathmark armies and adding to my small Frostgrave set up, and the variety over other 28s might be useful, but not if they are closer to 32 like some are now.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul
Welcome to the site. The card models look excellent. I especially like your 28s. They are really nice, and it’s great to see them en mass like that. I assume they are the CMON plastic range? Love the wolly mammoths!

How do they actually rank up against other 28s? I’m currently putting together Oathmark armies and adding to my small Frostgrave set up, and the variety over other 28s might be useful, but not if they are closer to 32 like some are now.
Thanks Tim, and you're right, they're the CMON figures. (As an aside, they'll always be "c'mon!" figures to me, as that's what I say to the dice just before I roll'em. [For those not in the know, CMON apparently stand for Cool Mini Or Not, which is a rubbish name IMO])

As I say, I'm completely fickle when it comes to modelling - I chop and change all the time. So I've not painted minis from any other manufacturer to compare them with - this is my first attempt. But the sculpts are generally very good, with just one or two absolute stinkers. They arrive put together and stuck to their bases, so you have to saw them off if you want to customise the bases.

Here's a couple of close-ups of the mammoths for you.
20210713_134148.jpg20210713_134120.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN HI Paul an welcome from me to an i as well love the bofor gun story bet there was some red faces there an your models look very well done ps i loved the vid of fitting better spokes in the wheel :thumb2:
chris

Last edited:

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Hi Paul from another former KH400 (and S3) owner. I have one of the Hasegawa kits stashed and it looks very nice in the box.

Welcome along and feel free to post any full size motorcycle pictures and anecdotes over in the motorcycle thread in 'chitchat'.

Love the Bofors story....

Nick

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Welcome Paul.......nice close ups of the Wooly Mammoth and lovely base work on it. I'm certain you will have fun on this Site......many here are Figure painters and there are definitely some motorcycle types to hold your interest. Have Fun and enjoy......I look forward to your "varied interests" in future postings. :thumb2: Rick H.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
welcome to the party, nice to see someone else who likes bikes

ive got a feeling Revell once did a kit of the KH400.......Hasegawa still do

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Lovely close ups of the mammoths. They really show off your painting skills to advantage. Just in case you don’t realise, cmon does have a forum with lots of useful figure painting info on it. Nowhere near as useful as this forum though ;) As to c’mon, it’s more appropriate than the real name, which is as naff as you say it is LOL.