Khadens Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk.1a

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Hello, I'm Khaden, Daddy told me about this group build and I immediately thought of my Spitfire, this will be my 2nd "proper" model kit I have an almost completed Red Arrow Hawk but thought the decals were a bit difficult so Daddy is doing those. I painted the Hawk with an Airbrush and just horrified my Daddy by deciding I shall airbrush this too......
full

This kit wasn't a starter kit as you can see but my Daddy has loads of paint already and he has already marked the call outs to match the paints he has.
full

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Khaden. Welcome to the GB I like your choice and have lots of fun build it .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Khaden
You can't go wrong with a Spitfire. I'm sure you'll do a great job of building it and enjoy it too. It is really good to see younger people having a go at the hobby. I'll follow your build with interest.
Jim

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Welcome Khaden!
That Spitfire is a great kit,and I'm sure you will impress all us old men. Many of us were your age when we started making models( a hundred years ago!)

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Thank you everyone.

So after getting distracted yesterday I got started today.

View media item 9060
As you can see I'm not great at getting two hands to work together yet, unless it's thumbs on a game controller, so hopefully doing this will help. Still need help using the knife to shave off the "not a plane" bits.

Got what daddy calls "The Office" assembled, I know it's really a cockpit so don't know why he calls it that, had to get help get the control stick in place, and I have left the pilot seperate to make him easier to paint.

View media item 9062
And with daddys help we masked off for getting the interior to go to the paint shop, unfortunately Mummy is at work and we can't leave my wee sister alone while go to the shed so that's it for today.
View media item 9061

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top work Khaden , the cockpit looks great , I bet you can’t wait to get spraying , cheers tony

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Khaden
Nice to get started. The cockpit is usually the place to start with aeroplanes but is always fiddly. Good luck painting the pilot. I find figures hard.
Jim

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Thank you Ian and Jim.

Slow going as I spent Saturday on a play date and Sunday watching YouTube videos, but after my sister went to bed we wen't out to the shed for an hour and got some done.
IMG_7319.JPG

Primed and base coated the interior, there was a bit of bleed but nothing that will be noticable once built, the white and black are actually just white and black primers. Dad didn't have the "correct" shade of interior green butsays the colour used looks about right, and something else about "scale effect"...........

Also based the cockpit assembly and started to brush paint the pilot. Getting the hang of using the point of the brush rather than the side and trying to be as neat as possible, being a neat painter is the first steps towards being a good painter says daddy.
IMG_7315.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice work. It's always great to get a bit of paint on a model.