Kinetic 1/48 F16AM

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A while back I asked if any one here has had a go at one of Kinetic's kits.

I am now sitting here up to my armpits in sprues and total confusion!!!

So this is going to be a sort of reveiw-come-build sort of thing.

Now I said up to my armpits in sprues and I kid you not. There are loads of them.

The box is 15x10x3 inches and is stuffed to the brim.

Im sorry no photos of them all, I will do a scan of the overveiw later.

One sprue clear with the canopy.

One large one with some of the larger parts. The fuselage is split up into three large parts; top, bottom and strangly the upper front part is also a seperat part. The nose cone is nicly molded as a single part. The 17 other sprues are mostly weapon systems and pylons, with parts of the engine spred around three of the larger sprues!!! (yes I did write seventeen sprues)!

The mouldings are very well detailed fine panel lines and billions of rivets (love 'em or hate 'em they are there). The good news is that they are only about .25mm so not over done in any respect.

Now for the not so good points:

Sink marks; none that will show but a few here and there. Ejector pin marks. LOADS of those and some are high. 99% are again hidden from veiw however they have a habit of being at glueing points so they have to go anyway!!! So far fit is not much of an issue, but there are a few places that I have had to trim abit here and sand a bit there. Nothing to get you reaching for the single malts!

One thing that does disturbe me are some rather odd plugs! There where you would expect an ejector mark sits a D shaped horn some times a centimeter long. Nearly alway on a concave surface, making them rather hard to remove and smooth out.

Snap them off and sand them with the mk one finger and a bit of wet and dry was the easiest by far!!!

I will return sortly with a few photos of things. Just need to fing the camera as I dodnt think my mobil will be upto the job.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Bugger battery is flat. You will just have to wait!!

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
How was the carbonara ian? The f16 in danish commemorative markings looks great, cant wait to see the kit when its done, cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Carbonara was off the menu!! I had forgot to buy the mushrooms!!! Got every thing else just no bloody mushrooms!! (Had Prawn and tuna salad instead)!

Right back to the case at hand. Battery now charged. Figured out how to use the camera, (its been a year going by the pictures on the memorycard)!!!

First the photos then the boring bit (text).

Ian M

View attachment 26134

View attachment 26135

View attachment 26136

View attachment 26137

View attachment 26138

View attachment 26139

View attachment 26140

View attachment 26141

View attachment 26142

View attachment 26143

View attachment 26144

View attachment 26145

View attachment 26146

View attachment 26147

View attachment 26148

View attachment 26149

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2566.jpg

IMG_2556.jpg

IMG_2551.jpg

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

IMG_2555.jpg

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2569.jpg

IMG_2554.jpg

IMG_2548.jpg

IMG_2562.jpg

IMG_2568.jpg

IMG_2549.jpg

IMG_2560.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
great pics ian, i see what you mean about the ejector pins, theyre massive!This looks very similar in style to a kit i picked up at the car boot years ago. It was by the chinese maker zhengdefu and was of a 1/48 sukhoi su 27 ub flanker. The surface detail was identical to this,even down to the grainy texture of the surface,and it was also full of ejector pin marks on the mating surfaces. I wonder if kinetic are anything to do with zhengdefu? It certainly looks like the same toolmaker.BTW the flanker went together fine-but i ruined the paintwork trying to put a panel wash on (it was a couple of years back,i didnt know the acrylic ink would melt the coat of johnsons clear DOH!!!) so its now a guinea pig for any paint effects or colour tests!, Im sure the f16 will be a beaut , keep the pics coming, cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right then.

1) Option to show this area open means there is a fair bit of detail (missing) in the hatch! Need to paint a few details yet, but I dont think I will be doing much to it.

2) These small growths pop up from time to time. These are on the inside surface of the tail fin I think. Where did I put that angle grinder!

3) Top of fuselage. There are loads of fine panels and rivits. Infact if I follow the instructions, some of the panels are not present in the AM so need to be filled!

4) some of the attachmentpoints are a bit on the vulgar side. Sharps needed!

5) One of the larger sprues with bits of weapons, airframe, engine... You name it, its there.

6+7) Some of the detail is rather rough, but most of it is very fine.

8) I said there was lots in the box did I not!

9) The belly of the beast. Minus throat!

10) Fortunatly most of the ejector marks are on the back of things.

11) Bit of detail on the belly.

12) A quick peep into the office. Yep room for inprovement there.

13) New wheels old wheels, there both in the kit. Denmark have had them for 30years, so I would of said the old wheels, yes? WRONGE in the photo of the real lady she's wearing new shoes!!!

14) I am very pleased that it was not me that had to mark all those panels and rivets out!

15) Bummer I just noticed the sink marks in the ejector seat. Good job there are two of them!!

My brain hurts!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well this bird is going together quite quickly actually and with out to much trouble at all.

There are a couple of errors and omissions in the instructions, wronge part number stated, or parts just appear on the next section in the drawings, with out any mention of them!!! The instuction book by the way is A5 format with three or four sections on a page. Not easy to see what is happening some times!

Well the Undercarriage is more or less done! Normally I would build it off the airframe and add it after paint was done. This one calles for so many bits that hang off the Airframe, that that rute was not an option. So this is going to be realllllll fun to mask and paint round!

Ian M

View attachment 26196

View attachment 26197

View attachment 26198

View attachment 26199

22082010678.jpg

22082010677.jpg

22082010681.jpg

22082010679.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well one thing is for sure; you are well and truly spoilt for choice in the bomb and missil department! I just cant let all these go to waste, so allthough my Original F16 in the photo at the start of this thread is buck naked bare the two dummy missils on the wing tips, my artistic licence is telling me some thing quite different! Its a war plane in opperational service! So Im giving it a loadout. Just cant figure out which combo of the many options. Any modern jet fans care to advise on this. I just have no idea as to what a jet of this day and age would be carrying at the same time!

I am at present about half-way though the External stores, and would just like the say one thing..... Yawn. Repetative work or what. Oh well time for the next batch. AGM 65 and 119A's I think.

Here are a few of the ones done so far. Some are primed others not even cleaned up.

A photo for the loadout options and the F 16 as she now stands!

Ian M

View attachment 26245

View attachment 26246

View attachment 26247

23082010682.jpg

23082010684.jpg

23082010683.jpg

K

Kressy13

Hi /ian. This is looking really good mate. Yes the weapons are boring and repetitive, thats why i decide what it will have first then make what i need. Mind you i have 16 bombs waiting on paint for my F-111. Sigh. The undercarriage has come up quite well. Looks to be constructed the same way as the Tamiya F-16 also. I wouldnt worry to much about whats underneath. Like you said "artistic licence". Just go with what you think and im sure it will look great. Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Kresten

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I'm back again!!!

Been playing with a truck load of weapons and made my choices! More on that when they are painted up and decals are on them. I went for the GBU 12 and 24's Center tank and AAQ14...

All the big stuff is done on the actual airplane, and has had most of the paint work done. just need to paint that darn tail!

Then I can add all the small bits that normally get knocked off under handling.

The decals for the tail and the ID codes are made but still need to be fixed. With what I dont quite know.

Here are a few piccies:

Ian M

View attachment 26259

View attachment 26260

View attachment 26261

26082010685.jpg

26082010687.jpg

26082010686.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
third time lucky!

Well after two failed attempts, I finally got the tail painted to an OK level...

The first attempt the paint was way to thin (?) and it bleed in under the tape, pooled and left a nice ridge along the masks edges!!!

Removed that and started again. White base. Dont know why but I do seem to have problems with the white! Blotches, thin patches, runs and sags!! Off again.

painted the tail fin with white Humbrol. Success! so that got left over night and I set about making the mask for the cross!

The drawing was made direct off the fin. and then flipped over to get the other side. God old tamiya tape and a new blade in the knife did the trick. The first attempt was just well off the mark!!! This one was great. Also I did the cross in two parts this time which made getting it in place much easier that the whole thing in one bit!!!

Anyway, A quick blast with a nice bright red, Off with the tape and .....View attachment 18715View attachment 18716

Well there are a few tiny faults but they should be hidden under the lion.

Ian M

View attachment 26265

View attachment 26266

27082010689.jpg

27082010688.jpg

F

Fenlander

looking very nice Ian. Great work on the tail. Very ambitious.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Graham. As it happens I didn't like it so that one is in for the chop too!

DIY Decals What a pain in the sit a pon! I applied on of the Lions to the tail last night and where there is white, it looked really good. Where there was red, you could just make it out! It would seem that the transperant Decal paper i just that. Transperant!! OK it might work better with dark colours but some how doubt it!

SO I have spent most of the day in Photoshop again! this time I have done the whole tail as one decal. Printed on white deacl paper. I will have to cut it to get the fit right and I will probably have to touch in the two parts where the thin tail fin meets the thick base of the fin.

I printed a few sets off so I have the elbow room to make a few "errors".

Also doing a few tests on scrape bits of decal to find the best fixer and to se if you can use Micro sol on the stuff!

View attachment 18769View attachment 18768

Hmphf! Back to work tomorrow after three weeks holiday. What a pain!

Ian M

View attachment 26315

View attachment 26316

29082010690.jpg

29082010691.jpg

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, great job so far, I will follow this one with great interest since my next build planned is the 1/48 Tamiya 1/48 F16C Block 25/32, so it will be very interesting to compare kit quality. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I had a stab at doing one of the decals on the tail last night. Big mistake!!! I think I should of let them dry over night after locking the decal's ink down. Or maybe I should just have given it more. Dont know.

The resulting mess was quite amussing, to say the least. It wasnt that the ink began to bleed out. It sort of smudged when I tried to position the decal in the right place!!! Not a pretty sight!

Any ways, the next copy of the decal was given five (!) coats of acrylic varnish. With about 10 mins between coats. No signs of bleed. So now my dialema is do I go for it, or do I give it a couple of coats extra....

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well i gave it a couple of coats more and they are now drying under the cover to try keeping the dust off!!

So I think I will use the time going over the kit reveiw side of this build:

The quality of the moldings are very good Plenty of detail OOB but plenty of scoope for the addition of finer stuff, Hoses and cables etc. The cocl pit was quite well detailed but never having been in one I can make on claims on accuracy! The detail looks fine to me once its been painted and dry brushed. The Seat is one of the areas that could be better. The Canopy can by posed closed or, with the addition of the bottom frame supports to the inside, in the open possition. My choice fell for the closed version due to to things. Did not find one photo of one parked up with the canopy up. Could not get the support/inner frame to fit!!!

The canopy! There is a mold seam right down the middle of it. So I was able to test out my newly purchased polishing stick- Works really well!

The Generat fit of the kit was very good and there were the usual tricky bits that one tends to find on most kits.

The Instuctoins are probably the weakest point. Printed on A4 paper, folded into a small book = A5 and is just to small. Also they are a bit unclear in places with parts suddenly appearing on the next drawing with out explanation or part numbers!!!

The Absolute worst thing was the painting/decaling guide. It almst seems that they forgot them, So a black and white photocopy, of not to good a quality, again in A4 both sides. One side has the profiles of the FOUR versions covered by the decals; Norway, Holland, Belgium and Denmark. The reverse has two top and two bottom veiws. As a pointer the lenght of the profile pictures is a huge 11cm from the tip of the nose to the rear of the exhaust! A simple line and a number tels where the decals should be.

The Decals! They are pretty good actually. Thin and well printed with no register problems. There is one sheet for the aircraft and an other for the weapons. I never knew there could be so many decals on a bomb!!!

They go on well and have no obvious problems. They like Micro set/sol too!

So if I was to describe it in one sentance? A good kit, well detailed and molded at a price that is ok.

Would I buy another kit from Kinetic? Yes there is a good chance that I will.

Hope that that was not to boring.

Ian M

F

Fenlander

Not boring at all Ian, very informative. I love the work you have done on those decals. Home made is something I have never had a go at but the more I see of what can be done, the more I want to try it. I will be getting a new ink jet printer soon so if anyone can recommend one that they know works well with decal papers, I would love to know. Before anyone says Laser, there is no way I can afford, or would want, a colour laser. We do have an Epson on Kate's PC but I want one dedicated to my Mac as printing over the network is always an issue.....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well the decal is on the tail. Sort of! I must admit i am pleased with the decal but the fit could of been better, so I had to touch it up at the edges. Being me I did not think of matching the red ground of the decal with ANY of the red paint that I have!!! Result, Erm, S¤"t mismatch!

I am also a bit worried about the fact that the decal is not sticking at the leading edges!!! I will let it sit for a day or two then decide wether or not to let it be. Change the decal colour and start again, or paint the darn thing again and get busy with the frisk film!!! ( :sad: )

Graham; I use a canon printer and there printer soft ware. They claim that if the picture is taken on a canon the printed picture will have the exact colourmatch! Its also very quiet in use!

Ian M

View attachment 26380

03092010694.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: