Kinetic 1/48 F16AM

G

Gomer Pyle

Ian, the decal it self looks superb. Looking at the picture I think even fading the touch-up with an AB, as I mentioned in my PM, would still be conspicuous, especially if you plan on giving it a gloss coat. Given the type of surface and size of it, I'd say; MircoSol it and put on another one.

/Daniel

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Daniel, As in Microsol it off i presume. DIY decals and Mirco sol are ant very good freinds. It is however ecelent at removing them LoL.

At the moment E-194 is parked up waiting for me to make up my mind. One thing is pretty much a dead cert! That decal has got to go :sad:

The big question is can I paint that tiny little lion compleat with the drop shadow...i will have a few goes at cutting a mask and see how that goes, before I commit to any thing right now.

I did the mask for the ID code E-194 which came out sort of OK and I got the mask off in time that the small amount of under bleed ('cause I forgot that trick with painting with the same colour as the back ground, before painting with the actual colour) was easy to wipe away with a pointy cotton bud thing.

The only thing getting painted this weekend are the upstairs windows. Three days of sunshine!!! should give be tie for that!!!

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, another trick is to paint over the mask with a light coat of Klear, this stops bleeding. Pressing down the edge of the mask with a cocktail stick sharpened to a chisel point is great. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yep I knew that to. some times I use the background colour others klear. I just forgot to do it! I think it was due to being a bit miffed over the tail.

Still, a good tip for others to learn by my mistakes! :confused:

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Derek.

Didnt actually have that one but its now in the file with the others. Thank you.

The saga so far. I did a peel and the tail has been stripped right back to the plastic and a coat of white primmer sprayed on. Then its going to get a caot of gloss white and then a new decal. I have painted a swatch or Vallejo flat red and scanned it into photoshop and adjusted the red on the deacal to the same colour. So if there are any problems the touch ups will be reasonably close to the right colour.

My only dialema now is do I print the decal on clear or white. I am hoping that the nic gloss white will counter the transparant issues.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, was reading an article recently, someone was building a Trumpeter 1/32 Sabre with a red tail, and he undercoated it yellow, he recons it prevents the cherry red look. Never tried it myself. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Know what you mean Derek. Yellow is the best undercoat for red. It brings out the depth and make the red nice and strong/rich. Also its easier to cover than white.

The reason I will paint the tail white is if I print the decal out on the clear paper, I will need the white under the decal to show as the white parts of the decal... smart eh!

Looking forwards to seing your one from tamiya.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
take three!

Well I finnaly got up the nerve to attack the decals on the tail again.

I printed them out on the clear decal paper and will rely on the white painted tail fin to do the rest.

One set that got sealed with klear developed, an although unwanted effect, a nice crackeled effect like antic paint work! I think I gave it to much in one go!

The next got good old Vallejo glossy varnish. Thin coats this time but loads of them! That worked a bit better.

So having had to or three days to dry I cut them up and put them on!!!

For those yet to try DIY decals, a word of warning. They do not slide in the same way that commercial decals do, so they have to be very close to the place they need to be. more than a couple of mm and you are reaching for the water and a brush. Which cant be to good for the glue!

View attachment 19467View attachment 19468

All I need to do now is put all the other decals and stencils on!

Right now these are being left to dry and I hope the darn things settle down and dont curl up at the edges like that last time!

There are unfortunatly gaps, which I will have to live with. From a distance with one eye closed they dont look to bad.

Ian M

View attachment 26818

View attachment 26819

24092010737.jpg

24092010738.jpg