KING TIGER - a project for 2019...

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter, I'm not a Tiger II fan but would like to sit in for this if you don't mind. The info coming in and your build might convince me to like this subject.

We don't have that many bees here but loads of wasps that make homes in our wood furniture or steal mud from our potted plants to build their homes. I've had a few land on me....I have to stop lazying on the daybed. :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

Jakko & Allen - thanks for the info. Hmm, not what I hoped for so it looks like it has to be Zimmerite since I am not too keen on an early version since I will be including a cobat crew inside. Allen - thanks for the offer of early version info. I have not tried to make zim from putty before, but it may not be too bad since most of the bodywork will be cut away.

John - a red raw plug, naturewill use whatever is around. Knowing my luck they will prefer anything other than my boxes!

Steve - thanks for the support, I hope I have not taken on too much ofa challenge

Chris - glad to have you aboard

Richard - I would not call myself a fan of the KT either, the attraction here is the interior details, and a soft spot for cut-away models. What really sold me on the project was the availability of a full crew posed inside the vehicle. Surprisingyly, last year we had very few wasps, a very large number of bumble bees - one group even colonised an openfronted nesting box which in previous years a robin had used. We did catch one queen Asian Hornet in one of our traps, not a welcome visitor but at least she didn't get a chance to build a nest.

This evening I am back sculpting a bust so it will be a few days before I summon up the courage to start this.

Peter

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening again Peter,

Upon a little more research, I found that Meng does make a Zimmerit set for the Tiger II w/ Porsche turret. The set # is SPS-060. As this will be a cut away build, you could use it by cutting it up as needed of make your own from scratch. Tamiya also make a Zimmerit set for their Tiger II w/ Porsche turret (# 12649). could be used in the same way by cutting it up...HTH.

Prost
Allen

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Allen thank you for the updat - great minds think alike, I just ordered a set of the Meng decals.

Peter

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
This arrived today - the Meng zimmerite decals. They look ok, I am not an expert in zimerite but to my uneducated eye they look ok, except they are perhaps a little too regular.

A photo of the decals:

E91E1415-4062-439A-B8F9-F414295982C8.jpeg

I expected the, to arrive in an envelope, instead they were in this box:

E57AA65B-0B6C-47CF-8A15-9F8DA7F07A09.jpeg
A big box for something 1mm thick!

I am not going to buy any etched brass nor the workable tracks so now all I have to do is muster the courage to actually start ...

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Peter,
Agree about the tracks and metal. If you are doing the cut-away then most of the focus will be on the interior and not the exterior.
Cheers, Mike.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I feel bad for bringing it up now :confused:
Interested to see how it goes together though :thumb2:

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
While I am finishing off a few things ( and while working on a remodelling of our bathroom!) I thought I would hsare with you the two cut-away models I have made:

The first is a hetzer:

1B77E621-79C7-49C6-B917-07F456388ACB.jpeg

With hindsight I think the amount of cut-outs should have been a lot larger, it looks abit like it has huge rust holes!!!
A69E9E33-4E4A-42F3-9AF2-BC9CF00456FB.jpeg

The second model is a 1/72 B-17 which I crewed using Legends 1/72 crew:

Sorry for the dark photo.

75730ECD-55E2-40F3-B279-F16C96422F1A.jpeg

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wonderful builds Peter. Thanks for sharing. Glad to see all the parts of the project are starting to come together. Do you have an idea on when you are hoping to make a start??

B

Bill Roberts

I make hedgehog homes for them to hibernate in, but the bees seem to nest in them and drive the hogs out!

Pete
I had that a couple of years ago and last year they took over two of the bird boxes.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
You mentioned this earlier
a review of David Parkers book of his build of the 1/16 KT which shows a number of pages of the book, which again may be useful.

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2015/02/superking-building-trumpeters-116th.html

I was given this as payment for doing some reviews on a magazine of modeling books.
Some great photos of the model being built, and of some unseen shots from WW2IMG_4329.JPG

Engine from rear.

IMG_4328.JPG
and the gun.

IMG_4327.JPG
Its a fantastic book , so If you need and information and photos just shout. That also goes to any one else building one. Don't think myself I would ever build one, too hard. Looking at the book certainly sets the mo-go off , the guy is seriously one top modeller.

John.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

I have been away from the forum for a while - sidetracked by a DIY job - installing a new shower.

Steve - I hope to start next week,
Bill - never had that problem from hedgehogs. Although we did find some mice in one nesting box.
John - it looks agreat book, apparently the build took a couple of years. Thank you for the offer of help, i may well take you up on it.

Peter

Reactions: JR